michael scannell

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin, TX

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:55 PM

I have gotten a gig shooting a music video. Because of the budget of this project they would like to use one of the 24p DV cameras or an HDV camera. I was wondering if there are thoughts out there on what formats would produce the best looking image for a project of this nature.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:00 PM

I have gotten a gig shooting a music video. Because of the budget of this project they would like to use one of the 24p DV cameras or an HDV camera. I was wondering if there are thoughts out there on what formats would produce the best looking image for a project of this nature.

Well, if they are going to rent something anyway, they should start looking for a deal on a pro video camera with 2/3" CCD's and some decent lenses, maybe a Panasonic SDX900 if standard def 24P is OK, or maybe a Sony F900 or Panasonic Varicam.

#3 Scott Fritzshall

Scott Fritzshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:52 PM

What is your destination format? If you're just going to an SD format, there's no real reason to use HD, and your budget would be better spent elsewhere. I'd recommend against HDV in general, I've been very unimpressed with its image quality.

#4 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:02 PM

Whats your camera budget? If low then I would go with the DVX-100(A or B) or if you can afford it, go with the HVX-200 (dont record to the DVCPRO-HD, just record to DVCPRO-50 if SD is the intended delivery) if you can afford more you would be well served by a better camera, if only for the better glass usually included with the rentals. The SDX mentioned by David is quite good, but obviously rentals are a bit more than the handheld 'prosumer' cameras.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:02 PM

The SDX mentioned by David is quite good, but obviously rentals are a bit more than the handheld 'prosumer' cameras.

Not for a two-day music video shoot... Take the five thousand dollars you set aside to buy a prosumer camera plus accessories and I guarantee you can rent a better camera package for two days. You could get an F900 package if you wanted to. You could probably even get a basic Super-16 camera package over a weekend and some film stock for the cost of investing in a prosumer camera package.

Unless you meant compared to renting a prosumer DV package, which yes, will be cheaper.

#6 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:13 AM

What is your destination format? If you're just going to an SD format, there's no real reason to use HD, and your budget would be better spent elsewhere.

???? Nonsense, thats like saying why shoot 35mm when you could shoot super 8. There are numerous reasons to start with HD, including every aspect of post production- and one thing about music videos is that they virtually always require a significant amount of post production. The other reason for shooting on HD is you actually have some choices in how you shoot the thing. If you want it to look SD then fine, if you really cant afford anything but SD then fine, but if you've got an extra few quid then I'd say think seriously about wether extra bits of props, or whatever, are worth more than than having a decent image.

Keith

#7 Scott Fritzshall

Scott Fritzshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:06 AM

???? Nonsense, thats like saying why shoot 35mm when you could shoot super 8. There are numerous reasons to start with HD, including every aspect of post production- and one thing about music videos is that they virtually always require a significant amount of post production. The other reason for shooting on HD is you actually have some choices in how you shoot the thing. If you want it to look SD then fine, if you really cant afford anything but SD then fine, but if you've got an extra few quid then I'd say think seriously about wether extra bits of props, or whatever, are worth more than than having a decent image.

Keith

You're right, I was mostly referring to HDV cameras, as he had mentioned in his post. At that budget, though, I think money put into production design will look better than money put into a camera with more pixels.

The Slider

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Abel Cine

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab