James Lau

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:31 PM

Hello.

I'm shooting a interior rock concert on DV. The band will have the usual rock show lighting - saturated colors etc.

I want to shoot in 16:9 24p, so I'm trying to decide between using the HVX200 or the XL2. I know this isn't taking full advantage of what the HVX200 has to offer, but budget limitations (and, umm, 8GB P2 cards) prevent me from doing so. I hate the HDV color compression and since I don't need HD anyway I'm avoiding those cams, popular as they are.

So I guess the question is: how does the HVX200 DV 16:9 24p footage look, compared to the XL2 DV 16:9 24p? Does anyone have any experience using the HVX200 with miniDV tapes?

I suppose the best option would be something like the SDX900, but again: $$$.

Thanks,

James

#2 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:34 PM

http://www.cinematog...showtopic=13726

Check that link to a video shot on the HVX. I understand your concern for not having enough space to shoot a concert; bummer. If you aren't shooting all over the stage, you can go live into FCP (multiple camera's as well ;) ), but I'm sure you don't want to do that.

It really depends on which format you're are going to be shooting. You can shoot onto dvc pro 50 which should be just fine compression wise.

#3 Phil Aupperle

Phil Aupperle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Director
  • Brooklyn, New York

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:47 AM

My friend reports that the HVX is about 1 stop slower than the DVX when shooting DV. I never had a DVX, so I can't compare, but I shot a lot of concerts with my XL-1 and it always worked very well in low light. I did just shoot a music video in HD 720p at 60fps with the HVX is very dark spaces, and I was able push two stops in post no problem. It looked like push processed color reversal, which worked well for the project.

#4 AshG

AshG
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:28 AM

Having just vut in some HVX SD to miniDV and some XL2 into a Varicam project I can tell you that they are comparable. I can also tell you that after using a cheap ($99) program called Instant HD the 24P SD footage was amazing! Not sure how it works but it does... anyway... the HVX will have more noise and need a tad more light but have a notably wider lense. The XL2 with the 16X manual lens is pretty hard to beat. Either way, you cant go wrong here, both are great 24P SD cams....

ash =o)

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies