#1 martinjoust

martinjoust

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:53 PM

Hi, I just got a Beaulieu 2008s and it is equipped with an exterior battery pack. It works fine, but I find the exterior battery pack cumbersome. Is it possible, at this point, to have the camera serviced to use the original battery or a recelled battery? I keep seeing bjorn's name mentioned and am wondering if he could help? If he can do such a thing how can I contact him?

#2 Kenneth Wajda

Kenneth Wajda
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:35 AM

Hi, I just got a Beaulieu 2008s and it is equipped with an exterior battery pack. It works fine, but I find the exterior battery pack cumbersome. Is it possible, at this point, to have the camera serviced to use the original battery or a recelled battery? I keep seeing bjorn's name mentioned and am wondering if he could help? If he can do such a thing how can I contact him?

http://www.chamblesscineequip.com/ - Jesse in Atlanta does recelling of these batteries but hurry, he's closing on June 1 for the summer.

Ken

#3 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:44 AM

I read your post in such way that although you own a DIY solution in form of an external battery pack, you would prefer - like myself - to avoid cumbersome external/cable-depending solutions and rather use the elegant original Beaulieu battery packs that can be screwed into the camera body.

If you have the original battery pack containers that can be screwed into the camera body and would like those to be recelledn, then Björn of Beaulieu Sweden is the primary address, certainly outside the US, with other services available in the US as well (as given and I am sure many others will chime in with recommendations)

If you do not have the original battery pack containers but only the external solution and would hence like to acquire the screw-in batteries by Beaulieu, than you can be helped as well: Beaulieu Germany a.k.a. Wittern Cinetec is selling these battery packs for the Beaulieu 2008-series.

Unfortunately, this being Beaulieu, there is a complication. Beaulieu changed the standard for its power supply midway through the Beaulieu 2008-series. Camera models up to the serial number xxx8699 (series A or series 1) require a different voltage than camera models bearing a serial number higher then xxx8700 (series B or series 2).

Wittner sells battery packs for Beaulieu 2008-series B / 2 readymade in NiMH @ 1000 mAh configuration for 150 EUR / 230 USD.

In respect to Beaulieu 2008-series A / 1, those battery packs were sold until recently but have since then been stopped and are no longer sold. It is now recommended to use the external solution with tne battery dummy, cable and standard battery pack in the battery loading container - pretty much the solution you currently use for your camera.

However, it might well be that Björn still has some series A / 1 batteries for sale or that indeed he can also supply you with series B / 2 batteries for significantly less than Beaulieu Germany demands. Wittner Cinetec is not known for reasonable pricing, at least since they became Beaulieu Germany <_< . I call this the "Beaulieu Pricing Curse" that seems to make everyone officially selling Beaulieu stuff decend into a archeo-primitive state of greediness and self-centred egomania ;) .

If you need any info on the exact electical differences between series A / 1 and series B / 2, please post so. I am currently away from my office and can't access the data, but would be able to do so next week.

Cheers,

-Michael

Visual Products

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape