#1 Jim Jordan

Jim Jordan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:11 AM

I want to be able to work the 900 and would like to work with p2 cards or tapeless to get to final cut,,,, is their any options? SDI options?

#2 John Ealer

John Ealer
  • Sustaining Members
  • 187 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:44 PM

I want to be able to work the 900 and would like to work with p2 cards or tapeless to get to final cut,,,, is their any options? SDI options?

There's an optional card for SDI out on the SDX-900 (new cameras come with it built in). Or, you could use the SPX-800, which is the same camera, just P2 based.

J

#3 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:50 PM

As John mentioned, SDI is available as an option for older SDX-900 cams, and is standard on new ones. And as he mentioned, the SPX-800 is essentially the same cam as the SDX-900, but P2-only (no tape).

Rosendahl's bonsaiDrive is a small, portable, battery-operable, _uncompressed_ SDI I/O, harddrive-based recorder/player. It's available now for about $3,500 US list price with its SDI I/O option and a 100GB 2.5" laptop-style (fairly shock resistant) harddrive. Using it with Final Cut Pro requires a SDI capture card, such as from AJA or BlackMagic. Info is available on their website here:
http://www.bonsaidrive.com/bonsai.html

Late this year Panasonic says it'll ship a new, small, portable, battery-operable, P2-based recorder/player (AJ-HPM100 @ $12K US) with built-in standard SDI I/O, DVCPRO-50 recording, upconversion to DVCPRO-HD and LCD screen. It'll interface with FCP via Firewire, or a SDI or HD-SDI capture card. A press release describing it is on Panasonic's website here:
http://tinyurl.com/m5fbl

#4 Tom Klein

Tom Klein

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Australia

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:09 AM

Hi Guys

Just a "Late" reply to the SDI out question from the SPX800 , I use it to capture to FCP6 via a Kona Lse, with embeded audio , direct from the camera to FCP when i'm in a hurry, it works fine, not a problem, video and audio is pristine.
I did a comparison between SDI, and P2 files import, I could not see any variance in image quality (using scopes)between either way of importing .
SDI output card on the SPX800 was an option, not a big deal $wise, the card outputs SDI from the camera and also from the VTR section of the camera, A "must" when shooting news and playing out in the field.
Cheers
Tom K :rolleyes:

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape