#1 legacy1436

legacy1436

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:54 PM

I've been working on capturing nice time elapse shots with the Canon 20D digital still camera. I have run into one website that has a sample.

http://599production...lapseLarge.html

I haven't been able to figure out all the little tweaks, anybody have ideas. Different shutter speeds? Different image sizes/resolution- right now I'm running Large resolution- not RAW. Also, do I need to photoshop each frame to make it fit screen. I edit with FCP and not sure if there's a quicker way to sort the frames down?

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:46 PM

I've been working on capturing nice time elapse shots with the Canon 20D digital still camera. I have run into one website that has a sample.

http://599production...lapseLarge.html
I haven't been able to figure out all the little tweaks, anybody have ideas. Different shutter speeds? Different image sizes/resolution- right now I'm running Large resolution- not RAW. Also, do I need to photoshop each frame to make it fit screen. I edit with FCP and not sure if there's a quicker way to sort the frames down?

I think the easiest way is to let the camera number the frames in numbered sequential order. Then get into Quicktime Pro and import all of those frame as an image sequence. You can then export a quicktime movie file that will fit neatly into FCP.

#3 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3066 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:56 PM

Shutter speeds depend on the subject and situation. As far as resolution goes, there is little point in shooting in RAW format unless you have a lot of manipulation to do on the images. Choose which ever JPEG resolution is closest to HD (1920x1080) and use that.

There are a number of ways to resize your images and assemble them into a movie. I find it easiest to batch automate the resize in photoshop, then import them as a image sequence into Quicktime pro. you can then export a QT .mov with a range of different codecs.

#4 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:32 AM

What everyone is saying here will work.

I did something recently with my 300D. 141 pictures that I just dropped onto a timeline and made each picture 2 frames long, giving me a 4 second timelapse, give or take.

Super easy, just a pain that I have to take my laptop with me to control the camera.

nice link, beautiful work.

#5 Yardsale

Yardsale

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student
  • Austin, TX

Posted 13 June 2006 - 04:05 PM

I have a 20d as well and plan to try this out at the beach. Can anyone go into detail about how it is done with a laptop tethered?

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Glidecam

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera