Photo

Any ideas of how much 90 min. worth of stock would cost after all is said and done?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Paul

Adam Paul
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Here and now

Posted 21 May 2006 - 07:23 AM

Any ideas what 90 min. worth of 35mm film would cost including processing and all it's needed for a print for projection? Thinking about doing a cheap HDV to 35mm transfer using a huge LCD/Plasma screen. Probably use a Konvas for the job. Maybe one of the older ARRIs with PL mount.

Edited by Adampaul, 21 May 2006 - 07:24 AM.

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:14 AM

Why don't you check out using a Cinevator.

You don't need a DI or sound neg, it's ideal for single prints and the print quality is good.

Nordisk film post production have one in Oslo. http://www.filmteknikk.no/

By the time you buy 35mm neg stock and get a print made plus a sound neg, there mightn't be a much of a cost difference.

#3 Fulgencio Martinez

Fulgencio Martinez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:46 AM

Ask your lab and your local film dealer

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:49 AM

Prices vary a lot per foot. For a really rough ballpark figure, let's say .50/foot X 9,000' = $4,500, plus .20/foot for processing, so that's $1,800, so $6,300. But that's not particularly accurate, and you can get recan stock cheaper and probably find processing for less than .20/foot.

#5 Adam Paul

Adam Paul
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Here and now

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:01 PM

Any ideas of Cinevator rates? That site is all in foreign language and has no prices. I did a little quick research and some people are saying the final results are soft. How does it compare to Arri laser? I know Arri laser is very expensive, but it's the best and a good reference.

#6 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:20 PM

Any ideas what 90 min. worth of 35mm film would cost including processing and all it's needed for a print for projection? Thinking about doing a cheap HDV to 35mm transfer using a huge LCD/Plasma screen. Probably use a Konvas for the job. Maybe one of the older ARRIs with PL mount.

I'd suggest getting a professional lab film-out using a laser or CRT recorder, rather than try to do it yourself. You will get an image, but the tone and color scale will be quite distorted, unless you have developed a really sophisticated LUT and signal processing for filming an LCD or plasma monitor.

#7 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:11 AM

Any ideas of Cinevator rates? That site is all in foreign language and has no prices. I did a little quick research and some people are saying the final results are soft. How does it compare to Arri laser? I know Arri laser is very expensive, but it's the best and a good reference.

From HDCAM it looks about the same sharpness as a S16mm blow up to 35mm without the grain. Not as good as the best systems, but it looks filmic, rather than video looking.

I'd sent them an e-mail and ask them for a quote. Ask if they'll run a short test for you.

#8 Adam Paul

Adam Paul
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Here and now

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:57 PM

If it looks like 16mm, then it may be worth to do the cheap transfer with the plasma TV. I heard of people doing it with great results. Never seen any footage though. But I've done some quick tests once, by shooting some 35mm stills from a plasma screen. I played a DVD (no HD material or anything) and hit pause and took some photos with different brightness and contrast settings. Some of it looked pretty good for not being anything precisely done.

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks