Low cost lenses for s16

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 oopee

oopee
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:14 PM

Hello

There have been several topics about s16 lenses, but i havent found a answers to my questions.

I would need a zoom and some wide angle pl mount lenses which would cover the super 16 frame.

The wide lens shoud be about 8mm. And my budjet would be around 1000 euros.

#2 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:25 PM

Peleng 8mm covers S16.

Edited by Freya, 21 May 2006 - 12:26 PM.

#3 oopee

oopee
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:49 PM

But is the peleng wide enough with 16mm, because it covers 35mm frame. So if its 8mm in 35mm frame, should it be as same as 16mm lens for 16mm?

#4 Sir Alvin Ekarma

Sir Alvin Ekarma
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:51 PM

But is the peleng wide enough with 16mm, because it covers 35mm frame. So if its 8mm in 35mm frame, should it be as same as 16mm lens for 16mm?

Peleng works for 16mm. It doesn't fish-eye like it does in 35mm; it's just reaally wide.

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:05 PM

Hi,

An 8mm lens is always an 8mm lens. The dissadvantage with using a 35mm still lens for S16 is the chance of flairing, as the front element is far larger than it needs to be. The mechanics are best described as poor, the lens will probably not be collimated or stay collimated for long if it ever was! Don't expect to be able to pull focus. If your happy focus at 3 feet and stop down to f16 in daylight using 50 asa film O.K. If you want to use ND filters you will need to get them to replace for the back clear element, required to focus at infinity.

Good lenses for S16 will always be expensive.

Stephen

#6 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:41 AM

Whaaaa?

Generally, "inexpensive" and "PL mount" are mutually exclusive terms, as lenses in the PL mount are usually the later models, and therefore expensive. I've seen some inexpensive Russian lenses in a PL mount listed on Ebay, but I don't know about the quality. If you're shooting super 16 on a tight budget, maybe you should consider renting the lenses. Why are you set on PL mounts?

In the under 1000-Euros range, you might consider using Arri bayonet mount lenses along with a PL mount adapter. The Angenieux 15-150 and 16-44 cover super 16 throughout their range, and you could use the aforementioned 8mm Peleng for your wide angle, although as someone has already pointed out, the Peleng involves a lot of compromise (flare, slow maximum aperture, uneven quality control, etc.). Hope this helps.

#7 oopee

oopee
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for your answers. I will rent the lenses for serious projects, but i have one snowboard/skateboard film which i will be filming around the year and thats so low budjet that i cant rent the lenses for that.

Are the pl mount adapters how good in use? Should i convert the arri mount to pl mount so the collimination should always be same?

#8 Donald Mckinnon

Donald Mckinnon

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Student
  • Downey CA

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:33 PM

i own a set of optars and the 8mm is sharp. Mine is arri bayo mount but they also come in Pl mount.

#9 Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:37 PM

sometimes you can come across an angenieux 9.5-57mm HEC lens on ebay.. super sharp and around 500 dollars.. maybe you can get a wide angle 35mm prime lens to go with it.. other than that you are probably out of luck to get any HQ zoom lens but you could probably get one or two optar prime lenses

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Opal