6 replies to this topic

#1 scooterbutt

scooterbutt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:11 PM

Hi, I got a new Sbm and havent used it yet but when loading the film it jams when passing through the pressure plate and ends up cutting up the sprockets of the film and the film itself. Does anyone know what is happening here? or has anyone had this problem before?
thank you

#2 scooterbutt

scooterbutt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:42 PM

I dont know what its called but the thing under the pressure plate that seems to pull the film by the gate is what is causing my problem it misses the sprockets and damages the film, so if anyone knows what I should do please let me know

#3 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:43 PM

I dont know what its called but the thing under the pressure plate that seems to pull the film by the gate is what is causing my problem it misses the sprockets and damages the film, so if anyone knows what I should do please let me know

thats the claw - you have two possibilities either your camera is damaged or simply misaligned somewhere, on my EL I had problems as the top loop former was not on the quite correct angle to guide them film into the gate area, its simply adjusted by loosening a little screw and moving it either more towards the gate/pressure plate or away.. in my case I needed to move it towards the gate, but that solved the problem of the film getting caught just before the gate and the top roller causing the torn sprockets not the claw as you say...

an other possibility is that the film guide leaf springy thing that surrounds the gate is bent and is jamming the film at some point in between the gate and pressure plate, the pressure plate might be applying too much pressure for some reason and the friction is jamming it, the claw might be damaged, it might be 'catastrophically' out of sync with the top roller (unlikely)..

Its hard to diagnose without seeing it... one suggestion is that you could use the 1:1 spindle with a rewind crank and load the film by hand cranking it very slowly and seeing what is causing the bind... hopefully the fault will still be apparent with the slower load, you could also fully load the mechanism by hand (make the loops yourself) as you would if you were loading a 400' roll and see if it ran well then...

thats a point> are you loading 100' daylights or are you using the mag ? are you clipping your film in-between sprockets on the right angle with the little clipper thingy ? what speed are you loading at ? where exactly does the end of the film stop ? (thats where you really should look first)

#4 scooterbutt

scooterbutt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:17 PM

thanks a lot I will try to do those things you mentioned and see if it helps at all

#5 scooterbutt

scooterbutt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:50 PM

It seems as adjusting the loop former screw is what I need to be doing but I am having trouble finding the right position for i have tried it many times and it is still having the same problem where the claw is missing the film sprockets

#6 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:38 PM

It seems as adjusting the loop former screw is what I need to be doing but I am having trouble finding the right position for i have tried it many times and it is still having the same problem where the claw is missing the film sprockets

if the film is getting to the claw the loop former is working already... I mentioned it because it was a fault I had with my EL, not sure if its going to help you though - the play you have when you adjust that screw will make the film have to travel only a little bit extra or less making the length of film that little bit shorter or longer between the roller sprocket guide pins thingys and the claw, i'm not really sure if thats an issue...

I havent had problems with that with my wind ups tho they are quite happy with thee loop former beign at either extreme ...

#7 scooterbutt

scooterbutt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:46 AM

Ok thank you for your help I think it will be best if I just have someone look at the camera

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Technodolly