#1 Sin

Sin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:14 PM

Im a new member, and i wont lie and say i'll be very active here, but i dont really know where to go. I've been to tons of sites, but i havent really been able to get help. A college course im taking this year is called "Movies as Art", and one of my assignments is to write a report on the Cinematography of a Movie, and i was thinking of doing the movie Willow, but im not really sure where i should start. If someone could give me some pointers , or some links on where i could get some information, i'd really appreciate it.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 May 2006 - 01:10 AM

Im a new member, and i wont lie and say i'll be very active here, but i dont really know where to go. I've been to tons of sites, but i havent really been able to get help. A college course im taking this year is called "Movies as Art", and one of my assignments is to write a report on the Cinematography of a Movie, and i was thinking of doing the movie Willow, but im not really sure where i should start. If someone could give me some pointers , or some links on where i could get some information, i'd really appreciate it.

It might be easier to pick a movie that had some articles on its cinematography published -- unfortunately, while there are articles on the efx for "Willow" not much was ever written about the cinematography. You could do your own analysis of course.

#3 Sin

Sin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:29 PM

Well im going to do my own analysis, buy im just lost on where to start.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:04 PM

Well im going to do my own analysis, buy im just lost on where to start.

You could start be defining the genre (period-action-fantasy) and its visual conventions, and how it compares to the key works of photographic fantasy of that day (something like "Excalibur" and "Legend"), any visual references to other media (such as paintings) and if there is anything in the past work of the DP, director, production designer, or producer (George Lucas) that suggests how the visual look was designed.

Movies of this sort tend to balance "romantic realism" (natural, source-motivated lighting effects at nature's most beautiful or interesting moments) and a certain degree of theatricality, an operatic quality. The look is also "Romantic" in the literary sense, where man is juxtaposed against nature, and the mood of the scene reflects the emotional state of the characters -- what is sometimes called a "pathetic fallacy", like when it rains during a sad scene.

#5 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:14 PM

You could also try to examine and analyse the light parameters along the movie (contrast, color, light directions etc.) as to enlight how the researched mood is achieved...

Spot how these parameters evoluate from scene to scene. And maybe choose one scene and especially describe these parameters inside that scene...

May be too technical ?

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS