#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:27 PM

I would like to know more about telecine. What machines are currently most commonly used? What are the basic processes and stages of transfer? What does the colorist do exactly? Once the film has been translated to a video signal how is it general captured abnd stored and then digitized? What is requred, equipmentwise to go from start to finish? Once the film has been taken into the computer, edited, had CGI added and color corrected how is it then turned into an answer print and what equipment is required to do that? These questions may seem basic but, having never seen the process, I want to make sure what I think I know about it is correct. Thanks-The Captain B)

#2 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 May 2006 - 04:23 PM

I would like to know more about telecine. What machines are currently most commonly used? What are the basic processes and stages of transfer? What does the colorist do exactly? Once the film has been translated to a video signal how is it general captured abnd stored and then digitized? What is requred, equipmentwise to go from start to finish? Once the film has been taken into the computer, edited, had CGI added and color corrected how is it then turned into an answer print and what equipment is required to do that? These questions may seem basic but, having never seen the process, I want to make sure what I think I know about it is correct. Thanks-The Captain B)

Go to Wikipedia. Look under "telecine" and "digital intermediate." Read. Then follow the links.

#3 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:53 PM

Dominic Case's book is the best reference I have found from Focal Press:

Posted Image

source

Willys Widgets

Technodolly