Michael Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Other
  • Toronto, Canada via Huntington Beach, California

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:27 PM

Hello All,

I shoot digital video and film on a serious hobby and sometimes semi-pro level. I've had to learn a lot
about the various elements of filmmaking as sometimes I'm the cinematographer, sound guy, lighting guy, director, guy who gets coffee...

I have realized that I'm no expert in most of these areas, but I do some better than others and I know most of the basics.

Before today, I thought I knew a lot about sound. As it turns out I know very little as there is LOTS to know about the recording of audio.

I was talking to a professional sound guy that I have coffee with from time to time and he told me he had a deal on a second hand audio recorder (he knew I was looking for something to record my film sound with). So, he told me he had a Sony TC-D5 Pro II portable audio cassette recorder. It was in great shape and he was selling it for 100.00 dollars. I said to him, "Cassette? You have got to be kidding me. Who would use an audio cassette to record anything?"

Ahhhhh. Ignorance is bliss. I'm the living proof. We went back to his home studio and he plugged a AKG mic into the Sony's XLR inputs (Yes, it had XLR jacks) and we recorded some dialog (well, me reading a book if you want to call that dialog). I listened to the play back through a pair of decent headphones (not super expensive, just average). All I could say is WOW!!!!!! After I wiped the egg off my face I reached into my pocket and pulled out 100.00 dollars.

The sound out of that Sony was incredible, really good. And I mean "good" as in it can be in any project that I'm going to sell for money good.

Then he introduced me to an audio compressor. So he took the already good dialog and he ran it through his audio compressor and it was like magic. He filled me in on all the basics of what an audio compressor does (which I won't go into here) and I thought to myself where has this peice of equipment been all my life.

I wrote this just to say that you can always learn something. Maybe in filmmaking you never stop learning. Just in sound there is so much to understand. Before today I would not have given you 2 bucks for a Sony TC-D5 Pro II audio cassette recorder. Today, it's a really valuable part of my sound department.

Mike

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11947 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 May 2006 - 09:24 PM

Hi,

That's a very important realisation. The moral of all this is that a multimillion dollar Hollywood movie still looks like a multimillion dollar Hollywood movie after it's been transferred to VHS and played a thousand times.

Give the average indie an Arricam, a Spirit and a hundred thousand feet of 35 and you still wouldn't get a good movie.

This difference, which is more to do with art than technology, is what some of us create for a living, but most of us strive to achieve.

And to answer your original question - here:

http://www.cinematog...hp?showforum=60

Phil

#3 Michael Ryan

Michael Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Other
  • Toronto, Canada via Huntington Beach, California

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:34 AM

Thank you, Phil.

I have moved my post over to the sound forum.

Mike

CineTape

Visual Products

Opal

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc