2 replies to this topic

#1 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:10 AM

I left a digital-8 tape on the dash of my car. It's an unused videotape so I don't have to deal with "uh oh, did I ruin any footage", but I was curious if others could share their heat horror stories as it relates to videotape.
By the way, I think most mistakes happen when you prep a job in the dark and then don't realize something has been left where it shouldn't have been left, a day or two later. :unsure:

I assume the best course of action is to let the tape cool down slowly, or, should one get it cooled down as quickly as possible to prevent further damage? Can the housing melt yet the tape still be OK by simply transfering the tape itself to a new housing?

What is the hottest you have had tape get, and did it actually damage the tape, and what was the best way to salvage the tape. Also, please mention the video tape format. Thanks in advance.

#2 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:44 AM

What is the hottest you have had tape get, and did it actually damage the tape, and what was the best way to salvage the tape. Also, please mention the video tape format. Thanks in advance.

I would never use a tape knowingly that had been left in the sun on a car dashboard. The "greenhouse effect" sun in a car is more than hot enough to warp plastics. If I had to attempt to salvage recorded tape left in the hot sun, I'd take the cassette apart and respool the tape into a brand new empty cassette - that might save your bacon. I wouldn't even test a sunbaked tape in its original cassette, I'd get it into the new case first.

PS: The closed trunk of a sedan is the coolest place in a car to store things, particularly in a light colored car because there's no greenhouse effect.

#3 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 29 May 2006 - 03:02 AM

I would never use a tape knowingly that had been left in the sun on a car dashboard. The "greenhouse effect" sun in a car is more than hot enough to warp plastics. If I had to attempt to salvage recorded tape left in the hot sun, I'd take the cassette apart and respool the tape into a brand new empty cassette - that might save your bacon. I wouldn't even test a sunbaked tape in its original cassette, I'd get it into the new case first.

PS: The closed trunk of a sedan is the coolest place in a car to store things, particularly in a light colored car because there's no greenhouse effect.

I'm interested in a collective of information about this subject so keep the info coming.

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Glidecam