Michael Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Other
  • Toronto, Canada via Huntington Beach, California

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:32 AM

Hello All,

I shoot digital video and film on a serious hobby and sometimes semi-pro level. I've had to learn a lot
about the various elements of filmmaking as sometimes I'm the cinematographer, sound guy, lighting guy, director, guy who gets coffee...

I have realized that I'm no expert in most of these areas, but I do some better than others and I know most of the basics.

Before today, I thought I knew a lot about sound. As it turns out I know very little as there is LOTS to know about the recording of audio.

I was talking to a professional sound guy that I have coffee with from time to time and he told me he had a deal on a second hand audio recorder (he knew I was looking for something to record my film sound with). So, he told me he had a Sony TC-D5 Pro II portable audio cassette recorder. It was in great shape and he was selling it for 100.00 dollars. I said to him, "Cassette? You have got to be kidding me. Who would use an audio cassette to record anything?"

Ahhhhh. Ignorance is bliss. I'm the living proof. We went back to his home studio and he plugged a AKG mic into the Sony's XLR inputs (Yes, it had XLR jacks) and we recorded some dialog (well, me reading a book if you want to call that dialog). I listened to the play back through a pair of decent headphones (not super expensive, just average). All I could say is WOW!!!!!! After I wiped the egg off my face I reached into my pocket and pulled out 100.00 dollars.

The sound out of that Sony was incredible, really good. And I mean "good" as in it can be in any project that I'm going to sell for money good.

Then he introduced me to an audio compressor. So he took the already good dialog and he ran it through his audio compressor and it was like magic. He filled me in on all the basics of what an audio compressor does (which I won't go into here) and I thought to myself where has this peice of equipment been all my life.

I wrote this just to say that you can always learn something. Maybe in filmmaking you never stop learning. Just in sound there is so much to understand. Before today I would not have given you 2 bucks for a Sony TC-D5 Pro II audio cassette recorder. Today, it's a really valuable part of my sound department.

Mike

#2 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:36 AM

Then he introduced me to an audio compressor. So he took the already good dialog and he ran it through his audio compressor and it was like magic. He filled me in on all the basics of what an audio compressor does (which I won't go into here) and I thought to myself where has this peice of equipment been all my life.

I wrote this just to say that you can always learn something. Maybe in filmmaking you never stop learning. Just in sound there is so much to understand. Before today I would not have given you 2 bucks for a Sony TC-D5 Pro II audio cassette recorder. Today, it's a really valuable part of my sound department.

Mike

DBX makes a microphone compressor I use all the time in radio station studios that delivers the maximum "bang for the buck". It's their model 286A and a quick search on the web will find one for about $200. For instance: www.sweetwater.com. It has both balanced mike and line inputs, it does not have a mike level output, only line level, so you plug its output into the camera's line, not mike input. While it's designed primarily for use as a mike processor it could be used in post to even out the levels in a final mix.

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Opal

CineTape

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

CineLab