SHOOTING FOR B&W

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 peter orland

peter orland
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:51 PM

If you are shooting Hd for an eventual black and white finish (as in Sin City) does the type of camera you shoot on become less important? And by less important I mean is there less of a difference in the picture quality between different camera's. After looking at lot's of footage off the 900 and the Varicam I can spot the look of the camera pretty much straight away. The same with the Z1 and the HVX. Would this still be as noticable if it was black and white?

Also does it make a difference if you shoot colour then post for the affect or shoot B&W straight to tape?

If YOU were shooting HD for B&W what would you do?

#2 peter orland

peter orland
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:43 PM

Anyone? :huh:

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:43 PM

There was a thread not too long ago about this, but I couldn't find it quickly. It's here somewhere!

The difference in resolution between 720 lines and 1080 lines will be just as apparent in B&W as it is in color. Even moreso, perhaps. Obviously the color nuances aren't there to look at, so there's one less identifying characteristic to go by. But then again, what does the image of each of these cameras look like in B&W? You don't know how they compare until you... compare.

Gamma and highlight handling become even more important in B&W compared to color, so any differences in this regard between cameras will certainly affect your B&W final image.

Shooting in color gives you more options to fine-tune the B&W look in post (you can isolate a color and change its luminance, for example). But you could make the argument that you can create the same look in camera, if the camera has a decent color matrix (I don't know the menus of the Z1 and HVX. You would need matrices like that of the Varicam or F-900 to match the extent of correction you can do in post). Isn't the Z1 HDV compression, while the HVX is DVCPRO HD? Inter-frame vs. intra-frame would become a difference when you're talking about color correction, although I've never compared the formats in B&W to see how that difference looks.

I've always shot B&W video in color, and simply turned the chroma down on the monitor as a visual reference on set. I haven't been disappointed by the end result so far. Some cameras will allow complete desaturation in camera; others won't. So some you have to do it in post.

#4 peter orland

peter orland
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:13 PM

Thanks Mike, some good points.

I did do a search before postin but couldn't find anything.

Visual Products

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

The Slider

Glidecam

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks