10 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Means

Andrew Means
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:18 PM

So I just got an R-10 (basically mint, $100) and I want to get to know it.

I've got two rolls of K64 and what I'd like to do is basically put the camera through it's paces- go through each feature and make sure it all works, then review the film to see how it performed.

Anybody have any suggestions of how I should go about it? I'm thinking we'll basically set up outside on a sunny day, with a dry erase board, and then write out the apeture/shutterspeed and stuff and basically go from totally closed off to wide open, with a zoom or focus change for each one. Then test the different framerates, etc. Then do the whole thing again inside with lights. Or without, I dunno.

One question- it talks of a tungsten filter- I don't think I have one, or if I do, I don't know where it is. Somebody give me a clue here.

Anything else?

(just kidding about the "making professional movies" part, hah! professional... *snicker*)

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:04 PM

So I just got an R-10 (basically mint, $100) and I want to get to know it.

I've got two rolls of K64 and what I'd like to do is basically put the camera through it's paces- go through each feature and make sure it all works, then review the film to see how it performed.

Anybody have any suggestions of how I should go about it? I'm thinking we'll basically set up outside on a sunny day, with a dry erase board, and then write out the apeture/shutterspeed and stuff and basically go from totally closed off to wide open, with a zoom or focus change for each one. Then test the different framerates, etc. Then do the whole thing again inside with lights. Or without, I dunno.

One question- it talks of a tungsten filter- I don't think I have one, or if I do, I don't know where it is. Somebody give me a clue here.

Anything else?

(just kidding about the "making professional movies" part, hah! professional... *snicker*)

This must be a forum record. A new topic post one rung above an existing topic post about the exact same camera. I'm curious how and why that happens.

#3 Frank DiBugnara

Frank DiBugnara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:26 PM

Andrew,

You would want to do a registration test with the camera to test how steady the image. Most of what you are planning on tests the lens and not the movement of the camera. One of the real AC's on here can give you a good step by step on that but it involves running the film through the camera twice (if you can--does that camera take rolls of film or cartridge? Do they still make cartridges?)

#4 Tim Halloran

Tim Halloran
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:38 PM

I've got two rolls of K64 and what I'd like to do is basically put the camera through it's paces.

If you're going to use E64T (there is no K64) for testing outdoors, I'd get an 85B correction filter. I bought one for my R10 awhile back and since its a 67mm it can be a bit pricey, depending on the manufacturer. Put that sucker on the front, disengage the internal filter with the filter key, and you're ready to get started.

Tim

#5 Seth Mondragon

Seth Mondragon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:17 AM

also, if you don't have a filter key, you can use a quarter as it does the same exact thing (put the quarter in the filter slot on top of the camera and you're ready to shoot under tungsten lights), at least for the R10. When I did my camera tests, I did something similar to what you're talking about. I didn't know about registration charts back then but fortunately the camera was solid. If you're using an NLE I wouldn't worry about testing the fade-up and fade-down features or reverse filming because you can just do those in post....wait, I take that back. If you think you'll ever enter a contest like Attack Of The Fifty Foot Reels (www.flickerla.com) or Straight 8 (www.straight8.net) then these features may prove useful.

Alessandro Machi wrote:

A new topic post one rung above an existing topic post about the exact same camera. I'm curious how and why that happens.

wow, you really think up some stupid poop.

#6 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:40 AM

You've really grown a chip on your shoulder, or was it always there.

#7 Seth Mondragon

Seth Mondragon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:18 AM

Alessandro Machi wrote:

You've really grown a chip on your shoulder, or was it always there.

no chip, I just used to think "wow, this alex guy really knows his stuff!" And although that may still be true, it just seems like you overanalyze stuff too much. I think something similar may have been said over at the filmshooting.com forum back when you participated there. Oh well, I'm still dying to see The Alphabet Film.

#8 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:14 PM

Alessandro Machi wrote:

no chip, I just used to think "wow, this alex guy really knows his stuff!" And although that may still be true, it just seems like you overanalyze stuff too much. I think something similar may have been said over at the filmshooting.com forum back when you participated there. Oh well, I'm still dying to see The Alphabet Film.

Cute game, if I respond to your continued insults, I would be overanalyzing, if I don't respond, then your spineless innuendo goes unchallenged. That's crap.

Perhaps you should be more concerned at how difficult it is to cull any useful information from Shooting 8mm topics. Topics that could be asked and answered in 10 posts or less go on for 50 or 60 posts and require wading through endless off topic comments, it's like a built in encryption feature in plain English. :unsure:

I made my comment about the two Nikon topic posts being right by each other because unlike the other Super-8 forum, if a topic here reaches the third page the original question has already been answered. If a topic on this forum gets any bigger than that it's pretty obvious that additional yet related questions have been asked and answered, which packs the topic with terrific information that will make it more useful to anyone doing a future search for information about that specific topic subject.

What you call overanalyzing is actually common sense and courtesy and that explains why I don't post on Shooting 8mm anymore.

By the way, you can take direct responsibility for my choosing not to post over there anymore, your whiny response to my complaint about a Shooting 8mm members hostile behavior towards me was the tie breaking vote that made it easy for me to end my membership.

I've made a rule to try and not call anyone names on this forum, and I'll leave it at that.

#9 Tim Halloran

Tim Halloran
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:08 PM

Easy, my good brothers. You both know a lot of stuff--I've learned much from each of you. You should appreciate that in each other. It's not cool to see two friends of mine going at it. :(

Tim

#10 Seth Mondragon

Seth Mondragon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:38 PM

tim, don't make me come up there and kick your ass. :P

#11 Tim Halloran

Tim Halloran
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:43 PM

tim, don't make me come up there and kick your ass. :P

We should start a super 8 Fight Club. My first challenge...S.A.N.T.O. ;)

Tim

Visual Products

Glidecam

The Slider

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly