MissKimmie

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Producer

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:25 PM

Hi-
I'm wearing a new hat - Television Show Producer. I understand geting signed releases for television commercials and corporate videos.( I've produced many of those.) The show is an "about the town" One segment of my show will feature a local event.. lets say a festival. It would be difficult to release eveyone in the shot. At what point should I get them to sign ? If they give me a sound bite ? If they are recognisable ? I hope this is not Off Topic for this forum. Thank you.

Kim

#2 Rik Andino

Rik Andino
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York City

Posted 03 June 2006 - 01:22 AM

Well shows or concerts usually have huge signs that say "You are being video-taped..."
So usually it would do you good to post some signs that informed people that they're being taped.

You should get someone's release when they featured on screeen for more than a few seconds,
Especially if they talk to the camera.
While generally it's not a big deal--it'll help you with lots of headaches later.

Good Luck

#3 Doug718

Doug718
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:29 PM

Usually just telling people will be good enough at a public event in a public place. If there's a large group of people in a public place usually you don't have to tell them. If you focus in on a couple individuals then out of respect you should ask them or maybe get them to sign a release. I know in Canada you can tape people as long as they're in a public place. If you're on private property then you have to ask, etc.

its probably best to at least have a sign just to cover your ass.

#4 Tom Bays

Tom Bays
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:44 PM

IF they are recognizable and if it is for profit...I would get one. Also a sign is a good idea as stated. It gets to be a bitch, but you just never know who might get pissed. Get some kid to go around getting things signed.

#5 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:05 PM

Getting a signature for a sound bite at an event is often not convenient. People have to read the release and then sign it, many are often reluctant to sign any thing.

You can ask the person to simply give permission on camera and record it before you start the interview, then keep it in your files.

You can say off camera, so the camera mic can hear your voice, "Do you give your consent to allow us to use your voice and image for commercial purposes in this show?" Then have the person say, "yes" on camera. Or if there's an interviewer with a hand held mic, record him/her on camera in a two shot getting the verbal release.

It's not as legally solid as a signed release but it's certainly better than nothing. They would have a hard time explaining to a judge that they didn't know they where being recorded for a show.

Also be careful of any kids under 18. They can't sign a release or give their consent to use their image on camera, their parent needs to do this regardless of the method you choose.

R,

#6 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:01 PM

Hello,

This is really a fuzzy subject. The laws of the land favor the television industry that can't possibly get releases on their news gathering. Therefore, the laws favor even movie producers. However, that isn't how it always manifests in civil court. Anyone can sue for anything. Ask yourself: If they are in frame, does it present them in some objectionable way; will this production ever make enough money for someone to sue for a peice of the action.

As we are seeing from Borat good documentation and sufficient payment to participants to satisfy all the terms of contract law doesn't keep someone from entering suit with you.

The big breakoff point has to do with what others, here in this thread, have already said: Public location is safer than private and insignificant in frame is safer than significant in frame.

We all need luck with this topic,

Paul

#7 barryagilbert

barryagilbert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Producer
  • New York City

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:13 AM

One thing to remember in any aspect of life is that in America, you can be sued for anything, regardless of logic or legal footing. That said, bringing a lawsuit is an expensive, time-consuming process that most people do not have the resources or inclination to go forward with. If you get a two second clip of some random guy in the background pausing to stare at your camera, spend your time worrying about finding that missing walkie, not him. If you are interviewing someone on camera, I cannot imagine why you wouldn't have them sign a release. Just have a PA standing by - 99% of the time pople WANT to be on camera, particularly if they have agreed to speak. If they are unwilling to sign a release than what they said or did is not worth adding to your program in my opinion.

Signs are a good addition if they can be arranged, to establish in people's minds that you are entitled to record their image.

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Tai Audio

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc