#1 Chris Pritzlaff

Chris Pritzlaff
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:11 AM

I will be working on a production that is shooting in Taiwan in November. I have never worked on a shoot outside the US and was wondering if there are any issues that I should look into particularly in reguards to power distrubution, lighting equipement, etc that would be different than here in the US. The producers are currently in Taiwan looking into locations and finding vendors and I want to be able to have them ask the right questions. Any help would be great. Thanks.

#2 BBender

BBender

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:36 AM

Hey Chris,

I came to Taiwan from NY. And now I'm getting ready to shoot my feature film in a few months. I've done a feature documentary film on S16 here before. Hardware-wise they got pretty much everything. Power voltage are the same. You'll most likely get everything from Arrow Studios. Everything is ARRI.

What role would you be playing? DP? Director? The key crew here are still pretty weak. Most of them don't speak english, not fluently. The best people are in the commerical industry so try to get those people. (Maybe I'll hook you up with them after my film if they are any good) ;) Most importantly, get the right line producer. Who's your producers or the company you're working with? What kind of project is it?

steve

Edited by Steve Woo, 22 June 2006 - 04:37 AM.

#3 Alex Wuijts

Alex Wuijts
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:32 AM

forgive me if i'm wrong, but isn't it considered very rude there to tell an older person what to do?

#4 BBender

BBender

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:02 PM

Alex,

You're right. That's where things come in nasty. The key ppl are usually much older, like everywhere else in the film industry. These people have the most experience. However, their cumulative experience had always made me having to compromise what I know is good, only because I'm younger. Many have never made a feature film before. Even if they have, the way they run things are very different than what I'm used to in NY. Thus, I tend to look for younger crew memebers or not local people to man my key positions. Then again, there are some veteran key people who are very open minded and likes to learn new things. Rare, but they do exist in Taiwan. Ask your producers!

Edited by BBender, 22 June 2006 - 11:03 PM.

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider