Chris Reilly

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:27 PM

Please watch and tell me what you think...

http://www.filmreilly.com/page001.html

#2 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 03 June 2006 - 05:33 PM

There's some nice lighting there, but it's a bit incoherent as a reel. I'd lose the Vodka thing, the strange song that kind of starts and stops randomly and concentrate on the nice bit from that short (was it a short?). The attic stuff in particular looks nice. Cut it as you would a trailer and present just that - don't try to cram lesser work in there just to show diversity.

Good luck.

#3 peter orland

peter orland
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:12 PM

Hi Chris.

The music dominates the clip, and with it's strong story lyric, takes away completely from your reel. I would find a piece of music that you can comfortably let play across the entire footage with only slight fading to allow the dialogue to rise through. If you do decide to keep the track that you have, then it has to be mixed in much tighter to even have a chance of working at all.

Even though I like the shots of the commercial, you need to find a way of intergrating them into your reel without it seeming like you're throwing in all that you have. If I was editing your reel I would start with the logo, then the commercial stuff running without sound, then cut in hard with your (feature/short) drama footage with a better music track and audio mix - and cut that footage more like a trailer - then snap back to a small finish on the commercial in silence, then your logo.

PS: What was the horror stuff shot on?

#4 Joseph White

Joseph White
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:33 PM

yeah i totally agree with the previous comments regarding the music - if you're going to have dialogue come in and out during the reel, use an instrumental song and fade the music up and down gently when you're introducing dialogue. if you're doing an MOS reel, lyrics can be OK as long as they're not distracting (a friend of mine had Jay-Z's "99 Problems" on his reel and while it was awesome and fun, people just balked at it).

i'd remove the absolut shot and try to just condense it more or less, but nice stuff indeed. keep us updated with newer versions as they develop.

#5 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:01 AM

I would go ahead and lose ALL of the dialogue. It's not adding anything. Otherwise, a decent reel...some of the lighting was a little flat IMO, but the darker scenes look great!

#6 Cole Webley

Cole Webley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:04 PM

I agree that the music starting and stoping seemed to be "bumpy" and "didn't work for me" in particular. I think the attic stuff looks great and my favorite shot was a close up on a hand picking up the knife off of the floor in the attic? The vodka stuff, while it looks decent, is somewhat a strange starting point. Maybe cut that stuff into a commercial reel -- it just doesn't fit in with the other stuff. Also, I agree that you should leave the dialogue out.

I would be interested to know how much of it was on film. I noticed some video stuff.

The music can be sooo hard to figure out. I know that I was cutting my reel sometime ago but I couldn't even start building a timeline because I haven't found a song to cut it to yet.

I am looking for something without dialogue.

Great first cut (even if it wasn't your first that's ok) I think you can make changes and improve it by following some of the constructrive criticism of these posts. Good work.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what song they have cut their reel to, or songs they really like that would work on a reel I would be happy to hear them.

Cheers.

Cole

#7 peter orland

peter orland
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2006 - 09:50 PM

Chris, what was the horror/thriller footage shot on?

#8 Chris Reilly

Chris Reilly

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:21 PM

Chris, what was the horror/thriller footage shot on?

Everything on there was shot on the SDX-900

Opal

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio