#1 Miguel Bunster

Miguel Bunster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:01 AM

Hi,
Has abyone lit a car night seen with lights powerd from cars? I am planing maybe to use the kinos for this, the micros? which other units can someone recommend me.
AS well for day is there any light that can run from battery and be powerfull enough to compensate a little for day exterior? I want outside to be hotter but not bananas hot. ANy recommendations please?
Thanks!
Miguel

ps: shotting on f900

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 04 June 2006 - 04:31 AM

The micro kinos are not very bright and are very hard (small). Try the 9", 12", and 15" 12v Kinos.

You can also run small tungsten lights on an inverter. The largest inverter I've used is a 750w, but usually they're even lower wattage than that. You could look into running a small wattage joker HMI on an inverter.

One trick I've done with driving shots and no process trailer is to use a driveable genny (the kind with a stakebed), and rigged a 4K HMI in the back with a diffusion frame well secured to the stakes. The genny truck/light simply drives in front of the picture car, pushing light through the windshield.

#3 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:42 AM

Mini Kinos work great at night and look more realistic.

#4 Jessica Bennett

Jessica Bennett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NY, NY

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:30 PM

This may sound excessive, but its good to know:
If you need more power, you can put a boat battery with a bigger power inverter in the trunk of the car. These can go up to 3000 watts. Its expensive, but a gem to own. If you need this, get someone who knows how to do it to rig it properly. There are marine inverters too, with salt/air/water protection. Then, you can rig lights inside or outside the car without a camera insert/process trailer.

#5 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:44 PM

The topic concerning lighting cars and power options comes up all the time. You'll find many suggestions with a search.

best

Tim

#6 Miguel Bunster

Miguel Bunster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:34 AM

Thanks for the tips..
yea I goen through the searches and read over 20 pages of ideas..all pretty good. My big problem is time. 12 day shoot for a 95 page script so I am trying to find a way to do the car day exterior shots and dont rig stuff for hours which would kill me.
thanks!
Miguel

#7 James West

James West
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • L.A.

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:32 PM

Hey Miguel,

For daytime, ideally you would want a 4k par, thru diff, or 1200 par, it's really hard to compete with that LA sun. But on the cheap, one time I rigged 2x2 reflectors and got a great bounce through the windshield....just be careful if the actors have to drive the car themselves, you'll blind them. If they have to drive, you could get profiles by just putting ND in the side window behind the actors head, and let the natural light through the windshield.

#8 Miguel Bunster

Miguel Bunster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:49 PM

Sounds great guys thank you!
Miguel

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Abel Cine