Jason Reimer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Student
  • Rochester, NY

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:41 PM

Hello everyone,
In July I'm going to India to shoot a documentary on an orphanage and the kids there, and from what I've been told, the weather will probably vary between hot, muggy and overcast to hot, muggy, and really bright sun. First of all, I'm curious what are my options for the kinds of looks you can get from these light conditions, particularly the overcast days? I'll be using a DVX-100B in 24pa mode, and I figured that on the sunny days, one could use some sort of yellow-ish filter to add some warmth, and/or maybe some different grad filters, polarizers or UV. I'm not really sure what one would use in overcast conditions, other than maybe using a grad filter to darken a sky even further (in the case that it would serve to underscore the point the visual argument is trying to make), while leaving open your options for everything below the horizon. Any ideas/suggestions would be most appreciated. I'd prefer to do most of my coloring in front of the camera, rather than trying to do it all with software after the fact. If I have to, fine, but it seems like the less of that you have to do, the less you're going to have problems with any sort of artifacts or degradation caused by the editing software. Whatever suggestions you folks might have would be really appreciated, especially if it includes the logic behind them, so that I'll know not only what to do, but why.
Thanks in advance; this forum has been a goldmine of information to me so far, and I'm in the midde of reading some of the books from the book recommendation list. The only problem is that I'm running out of time in which to learn and it's now time to finish buying our gear and start shooting some test stuff before it's time to head off on this adventure. But I have really been impressed with how professional every carries themselves here, and the fact that so many working professionals take the time to pass on their experience and knowledge to us rookies. Thanks again!
Jay

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc