Jason Reimer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Student
  • Rochester, NY

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:00 PM

Hello,

In July I'll be heading to India to shoot a documentary on an orphanage there (some of you may have read my other posts on different issues related to this), and besides being my first serious project, it'll also be my first time travelling to a place like India with this kind of gear (although I have done a lot of non-film-related travelling). What I have to do is try to fit my little guerilla documentary-making kit into one bag or backpack that I can carry on, or that I can at least share out with one of my companions on the trip. But we will not be able to check any luggage, due to time constraints and the size of a plane we'll have to use for an in country flight we'll have to take when we get to India. In your experience, is there any particular piece of gear they wouldn't let me carry on? We're going to have a DVX, tripod, mic kit, possibly a short boom, tapes, batteries, charger, filters, things like that.

Next, will x-rays inspections have any effect on my tapes?

Lastly, are there any companies that offer travel insurance for film equipment, to countries like this?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!
Jay

#2 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:45 AM

When I travel, especially to places like India, I take digital photos of all my gear and my luggage. I group the photos as to what will be in each bag. I print out color photos of the gear and keep then in a safe place. Then if the gear is misplaced, or stolen, or if I am given any hassles I can show exactly what the gear looks like. I also write down all the serial numbers and Countries of origin. I have traveled with a Carnet but that isn?t as simple as one might think. I also keep color prints of my passport and carry them with me. Sometimes when asked to show my passport I?ll try the photo copy first in case it gets confiscated.

#3 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 June 2006 - 01:19 AM

What I have to do is try to fit my little guerilla documentary-making kit into one bag or backpack that I can carry on

Consider Cinebags.com. He makes a production bag that is within the "carry on" size requirements and will hold (all at the same time) a DVX100, matte box, iris rods, follow focus, wide angle lens, telephoto lens, ten 4x4 filters, six batteries, a Litepanel LED light, two Lectrosonics wireless mics, a light meter, rain cover, 3+ boxes of tapes, and a Steadicam Merlin. Fits in the overhead bin. Never leave home without it (and I do travel outside the US 2-3x a year like this!)

I usually spread the contents out across several smaller backbacks for in-country travel, but the Cinebag is great for airline travel and keeping everything safe, while at the same time remaining inconspicuous.

#4 Jason Reimer

Jason Reimer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Student
  • Rochester, NY

Posted 07 June 2006 - 01:59 AM

Thanks guys, that's exactly the sort of input I need! I'll definitely have to check out that bag, it sounds perfect.

Consider Cinebags.com. He makes a production bag that is within the "carry on" size requirements and will hold (all at the same time) a DVX100, matte box, iris rods, follow focus, wide angle lens, telephoto lens, ten 4x4 filters, six batteries, a Litepanel LED light, two Lectrosonics wireless mics, a light meter, rain cover, 3+ boxes of tapes, and a Steadicam Merlin. Fits in the overhead bin. Never leave home without it (and I do travel outside the US 2-3x a year like this!)

I usually spread the contents out across several smaller backbacks for in-country travel, but the Cinebag is great for airline travel and keeping everything safe, while at the same time remaining inconspicuous.

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

The Slider