11 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:01 AM

My eight year old nephew is fascinated with the fim and videos I make and wants to learn to make his own. Can anybody recommend a good starter camera geared towards the 12 and under budding types? Does anybody make editing software for kids?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:16 AM

My eight year old nephew is fascinated with the fim and videos I make and wants to learn to make his own. Can anybody recommend a good starter camera geared towards the 12 and under budding types? Does anybody make editing software for kids?

Mac's Imovie is ridiculously simple to learn to use, so if the kid is bright, I don't see a problem. There are similar PC software options.

At that age, any basic DV camera with a firewire out would be fine, unless you want him to learn more about cinematography, which means a camera with more manual features so he can learn about f-stops, shutter speeds, etc.

#3 Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:02 PM

Audiovox
Price : $ 109.95
Shipping Cost
DC400 MPEG4 Digital Video Camcorder / 2 Mega Pixel Digital Camera

Is the cheapest I can find. No Fire Wire, though. I remember those old Fisher Price Camera but they're not much good for NLE.

Keep the Idea's Coming. His Birthday is in a week!

#4 Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:25 PM

Mac's Imovie is ridiculously simple to learn to use, so if the kid is bright, I don't see a problem. There are similar PC software options.

At that age, any basic DV camera with a firewire out would be fine, unless you want him to learn more about cinematography, which means a camera with more manual features so he can learn about f-stops, shutter speeds, etc.

David,

This inexpensive Audiovox is USB only. Here's a link. Do you think this would be good enough for a eight year old who has no idea what he is doing. What is very importnat is that he WANTS to learn.

http://www.bhphotovi...egoryNavigation

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:43 PM

I don't know enough about USB connection speeds to editing software to know whether it is fast enough, but obviously since it is just to digitize batch clips, maybe the speed isn't so important. The question is whether something like i-movie can run a camcorder deck, forward-and-back, through a USB connection. But I guess this camera doesn't even have a deck, just an SD card, so you'd probably just dump the card's contents onto the computer. I don't know how many minutes you can record on those cards.

Maybe it's a simpler set-up since no videotape is involved, I don't know. Depends on how computer-saavy this kid is.

Obviously this is all something you'll have to train the kid how to do, use the camera, use the editing software, etc. so you should be the one to learn it first. Nothing is so simple that you can just hand the camera and a laptop to a kid and say "go shoot a movie and then cut it."

My experience in cutting on a home computer is limited; I don't own a camcorder, just a DSR11 DVCAM deck running to my Mac through firewire to edit my reel on.

#6 Stuart McCammon

Stuart McCammon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Producer

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:17 PM

Might want to check out the Canon ZR 500 - $299.99 or cheaper, Firewire, MiniDV, decent lens and features. I think I saw one online for $180 not too long ago.

#7 Eric Dinger

Eric Dinger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:23 PM

I would stay away from those "record onto a card" ones, they usually compress the video alot and I don't how adjustable they are.

The canon ZR's are pretty sturdy, I remember using them back in 8th grade, kids beat the snot out of 'em, just because they were clueless (as was the teacher...).

#8 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:26 PM

The Fisher Price PXL 2000 Item number: 6063637762. They have been used by real filmmakers most noteably in "Nadia", A vampire fick for the Vampire's POV. An 8 year will LOVE it because every thing you film looks like a Horror movie. You could also use it when he isn't. It uses audio cassettes to record on and although there are no composite outputs, there are several sites on what it takes to convert the signal to something that can be read by a VHS deck.

also LEGO Steven Spielberg Movie Maker Building Set w/ CD Item number: 6062995144. This set will show him how to actually make a film. Very cool.

The only othe suggestion videowise would be any old VHS camera, they're cheap so if he drops it it's not really a tragedy, plus vhs tape is cheap so he could afford it on an allowance. Any computer w/ a capture card and even the simplest editing software will be adiquite for editing, actually the simplier the better, single track video 2 tracks audio, 50-60 buck at the most, many times free (A-B Roll, free download) .

If you want to go film, an old super8 camera would be perfect. they're cheap[, (8 to 25 bucks) and the film is reletively inexpensive. editors run abour 25 to 50 bucks.

these are all on ebay B)

Edited by Capt.Video, 07 June 2006 - 07:28 PM.

#9 Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

I bought him a Audio Vox. I wanted to get a camera that is cheap and has cheap, distinct look. There's No Way that little punk is getting anywhere near my PXL2000. :P

#10 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:13 PM

Whatsa matter? Didn't Momma teach ya to share your toys? After all it's made by Fisher Price. :D

#11 Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:35 PM

Whatsa matter? Didn't Momma teach ya to share your toys? After all it's made by Fisher Price. :D

And my Evel Knevel Dolls and Cycles where all made by Mattell. That didn't stop me squirting them with lighter fluid and sending them airworthy from the roof of the house. I was a good kid and did this for the enjoyment of all my friends.

But my Fisher Price PXL 2000 still works like a charm and makes me stingy. Sorry. No dice.

#12 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:29 PM

That's OK. I tied my Major Matt Mason doll to a bike inner tube, streatched it out and let my brother try to whack it with a broomhandle as it zipped by. I still can't figure out why my parents refused to buy me another one. :D

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Glidecam

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post