#1 cbridges

cbridges

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Grip

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:58 PM

[size=7][b]I am on the path to turning into a GRIP and I was wondering what would be the basic tools, I would need for my utility belt?[/size]

#2 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:56 PM

You shouldn't need that much. A grip truck will have most everything you'll need. Mainly a bottle of water :D leather work gloves (and learn to keep them on as much as possible to save the skin on your hands a lot of grief), a hat (the summer sun is brutal) , sunblock, A sharp pocket knife is one thing to keep on you and a small flashlight at night if you have one. I usually get several C-47s (clothes pins) from the grip truck and clip them to my vest or shirt so they're handy also keep the metal handi-clamps, grip tape and black wrap near by but you don't need to keep them on you althoough one or two small handi-clamps clipped to your shirt wouldn't hurt, maybe a couple (black and red) Sharpies for marking gel. Get at least 4 C-stands, lights stands and 2 combo stands as well as 6or more sandbags set up and ready to go right away when you get to location for most smaller production unless your otherwise instructed not to. The most inportant thing to keep in you tool belt is your common sense. If they call for a green net, bring the red one too. If you grab a stand automatically grab a sandbag as well. If your shooting in someone's home collape the light stand legs before walking though the hall w/ it so as not to mare the walls. B)

#3 Chris Pritzlaff

Chris Pritzlaff
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 June 2006 - 02:16 AM

Yup - Capt. Video pretty much summed it all up. But here in list form are the essentials as far as tools go

Wok Gloves
Utility Knife
Leatherman
Sharpie
Pen
C47s
clips
Gaff Tape
Flashlight - you never know when you will need it

Other items should be near enough to grab quickly on the set but the above are used fairly frequently and its really helpful when you have them with you at all times.

#4 Wilkin Chau

Wilkin Chau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Grip

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:51 PM

Yup - Capt. Video pretty much summed it all up. But here in list form are the essentials as far as tools go

Wok Gloves
Utility Knife
Leatherman
Sharpie
Pen
C47s
clips
Gaff Tape
Flashlight - you never know when you will need it

Other items should be near enough to grab quickly on the set but the above are used fairly frequently and its really helpful when you have them with you at all times.

I would add a cresent wrench to that list as well. At least an 8 inch one. Also I'd probably substitute 2 inch black paper tape instead of gaffer tape. I find that I end up having to tape stuff to sets, windows, walls etc. and paper tape is less likely to leave a mark.

Although you don't need to physically have this one you at all times I would reccomend getting a speed wrench with a 13/16 hex bit plus a small allen key set (3/16 and 5/16 are the 2 most commonly used). The speed wrench is used for stuff like hard 90's, swivels etc. Some pipe connectors require an allen key.
Don't worry, you don't need this stuff on your belt since you wouldn't use these things every day. Just have it a bag somewhere.

#5 Rik Andino

Rik Andino
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York City

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:14 PM

There was a thread about this a few months ago...
Check it out.

http://www.cinematog...showtopic=12537

Good Luck

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

CineTape

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Opal