#1 Milo Sekulovich

Milo Sekulovich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:27 AM

Hi,

I was a bit surprised upon viewing the DVD of Barry Lyndon how dirty the print they used was,as well as
the slight "jump" there was throughout the film-as if splices didn't run smoothly through the telecine.

Does anyone know when the transfer was done for the Barry Lyndon DVD?

Another surprising thing was how the grain was not overly evident in a good amount of scenes,even the low light candlelit ones. It was shot on 5254 and pushed 1 stop,and 5254 had an RMS granularity of 7!
Compare that to 5218 or Fuji Eterna 500T with an RMS granularity of 3.5.

Milo Sekulovich

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:57 AM

Depends on if you are watching the new or old DVD as part of the Stanley Kubrick Collection. There was an original release of his movies on DVD, but the transfers were supervised by Kubrick (except "Eyes Wide Shut") because they were made originally for the laserdisc releases in the early 1990's.

Due to complaints about the quality, a year or so later the entire set was re-released on DVD with the same white covers (which is confusing) except that they have "DIGITALLY RESTORED AND REMASTERED" in small blue letters at the top of the DVD cover. These new transfers were done in 2000.

The transfers are probably from color IP's, which may or may not be from vaults instead of being brand-new. But I doubt that the IP for "Barry Lyndon" is very old since it gets reprinted now & then from an IN by Warner Bros. and the prints look pretty good.

Film tends to have dust, so if you see it in a DVD, it's because they did not spend as much time doing dust removal after the telecine transfer, which is part of the QC process.

It's hard to see film grain in standard def video, and they sometime do some digital grain/noise reduction, which is why the DVD of "Eyes Wide Shut" looks too smooth compared to the grainy texture of the original release prints.

#3 Milo Sekulovich

Milo Sekulovich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:49 AM

David,

I must have the older transfer/earlier DVD release. I was surprised at the suspect quality at times,
and can see why there were complaints.

I surmised as such that they had used noise reduction in the transfer.'

You would not see commercially released DVD's now that dirty. I'm surprised that it passed quality conrtrol.

I'll have to procure a DVD with the new transfer.

Milo Sekulovich

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Glidecam

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio