#1 F Bulgarelli

F Bulgarelli
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:19 PM

Hello there,

I'll be shooting a music video in super16 and wanted some input about film stocks.
This is all day exteriors out in the dessert.
I'm going for a contrasty look but not harsh. I bit like skipped bleach but without the grain.
I'm leaning toward the slower stocks because i really want a clean image with a bit of softness to it, i might use some diffusion, i like sfx or schneiders gold diffusion, i'm more familiar with kodak but it might be a good oportunity to try fuji stocks.
I'm a bit concerned about asa speed, specially as the day winds down, also, i think i might stick to a zoom lens and have zeiss speeds available in case i need the stop. zooms tend to be a bit softer than primes.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated,

Francisco

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:47 PM

I tend to favor the Kodak stocks in Super-16 just because they are a tad sharper than Fuji; in 35mm, I don't think it makes as much of a difference and in fact, the Fuji look can be more flattering. Plus Fuji hasn't updated the F-64D stock so 7201 is better all-around; Eterna 250D however is new and similar to Kodak 7205, just less contrasty and a little softer-looking.

I would probably use 7201 in the desert and add the contrast in the telecine color-correction session.

#3 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:03 AM

I was under the impression HD productions really aren't that much cheaper than doing it film. Somewhere in the 5% range of savings. If that's the case then why not pay 5% more and shoot with film?

5% is not the case, but what is 5% of 100 million? If I did my math correctly; that's 5 million ;)

I am shooting a commercial for a festival, and I wanted to shoot on 16mm, but the time restraints, and the costs pushed us over our low budget of $600 easily.

I am going to have my friend operate, who owns an HVX 200, and throw him some money for the day. How much did I save?

Hard to say.

#4 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:43 PM

Hello there,

I'll be shooting a music video in super16 and wanted some input about film stocks.
This is all day exteriors out in the dessert.
I'm going for a contrasty look but not harsh. I bit like skipped bleach but without the grain.
I'm leaning toward the slower stocks because i really want a clean image with a bit of softness to it, i might use some diffusion, i like sfx or schneiders gold diffusion, i'm more familiar with kodak but it might be a good oportunity to try fuji stocks.
I'm a bit concerned about asa speed, specially as the day winds down, also, i think i might stick to a zoom lens and have zeiss speeds available in case i need the stop. zooms tend to be a bit softer than primes.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated,

Francisco

Either 7201 or 7205 should be well suited to the "look" you want. The 7201 has amazingly low graininess if you have enough light.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

CineLab

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport