#1 idontnoh

idontnoh

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 June 2006 - 04:13 PM

Hey there, i just won an xl1 on ebay for about 300 dollars and wondering if this would be a good deal if i'm a "once in awhile" moviemaker hoping to take it more seriously in a few years after i graduate college. thanks

#2 Jack Barker

Jack Barker
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Other
  • Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 11 June 2006 - 04:44 PM

Hey there, i just won an xl1 on ebay for about 300 dollars and wondering if this would be a good deal if i'm a "once in awhile" moviemaker hoping to take it more seriously in a few years after i graduate college. thanks

Congratulations! An XL1 (even without the "S") is indeed, a good deal.
May your "once in awhile" status move up and up.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 June 2006 - 06:18 PM

Hi,

I don't quite understand the thinking here - you bid for it, entering into a contract to buy it, and you have won. . Considering whether the maximum bid you entered was a fair deal was something you should have considered before bidding, and ebay makes this very clear. Trying to whine your way out of it now is both very bad form and a breach of contract.

You have already bought it, you just haven't paid for it yet.

Phil

#4 Jack Barker

Jack Barker
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Other
  • Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 11 June 2006 - 07:07 PM

Uh, Phil? How is he trying to whine his way out of it? Did I miss something?

#5 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 June 2006 - 07:15 PM

Yeah, he's not whining, he scored a notoriously good deal.

Is that with lens/battery?

#6 jijhh

jijhh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 June 2006 - 07:20 PM

I think whining may not have been the right word to use, but Phil has the right idea. Asking if the xl1 "would" be a good deal after winning the auction is like buying a car, driving it home, and then asking someone if it was a good deal. What Phil was trying to say was that whether it is a good deal or a bad deal it is a deal that already happened. You won, you already purchased the camera essentially.

#7 Luke Prendergast

Luke Prendergast
  • Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Victoria Australia

Posted 11 June 2006 - 07:24 PM

There's something mighty suspect about an XL1 for $300. I'm guessing it's from China, and the seller is 'not a registered user' or won't be in the next few days. You didn't win anything my friend.

#8 AshG

AshG
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:08 AM

A quick perusal of ebay shows that there have been NO XL1's sold for under $1000 in the last 90 days. Also, the cheapest one has sold in any working condition was $1200.

ash =o)

#9 Tom Mott

Tom Mott

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Director
  • Tampa, FL

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:11 PM

A quick perusal of ebay shows that there have been NO XL1's sold for under $1000 in the last 90 days. Also, the cheapest one has sold in any working condition was $1200.
ash =o)

Right... beware XL1s on ebay... I just got a bogus second chance offer for $800 I had previously bid on an XL1 - oh yeah... my first XL1 on ebay was purchased for 2200 only to find out it had spatter of dead pixels one of which was pretty conspicuous - and a viewfinder which had been cracked and glued back together -- not complaining though - after many emails and phone calls got a refund of 300 for the viewfinder and 200 for the pixel (he wouldn't take the camera back) for a grand total of 1600 -- the camera has more than paid for itself and at almost two years later is still running :)

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Opal

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC