#1 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 June 2006 - 06:24 PM

Hi,

I just watched this at the cinema here in England. Really, really enjoyed it! Very well written I thought, verged on Greek tragedy in places. It looked like it was shot on HD and I think for once this really added to the downbeat mood of the story. Daniel Auteuil and Gérard Depardieu were fantastic.

10 to 1 says that some Hollywood studio exec type decides to re-make this in LA in a few years time. Of course the cars and guns will be much bigger and louder. Just like when they re-made Luc Bessons's Nikita into The Assassin. Result? Bigger and more glamorous sets, bigger and shinier guns, bigger and louder explosions but in the end just not as good or as enjoyable.

Have a watch, tell me what you think.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 June 2006 - 06:36 PM

Just like when they re-made Luc Bessons's Nikita into The Assassin. Result? Bigger and more glamorous sets, bigger and shinier guns, bigger and louder explosions but in the end just not as good or as enjoyable.

True, but "Nikita" was already meant to be a glossy action movie so it's harder to object to a remake having the same mentality only with more money to spend to achieve it.

#3 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:54 AM

True enough.

But many times a remake just seems to lose some sort of original 'essence' in the translation for some reason. I suppose it's just down to so many factors being completely different including shooting locale, actors, director, production crew and of course a country's culture.

It always interests me when I learn they used to do large studio productions in different countries with different sets of actors who spoke completely different languages, so that the studio could sell the production in different markets. I'd love to see one of these films back to back.

#4 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:06 PM

I saw this about a year ago, it's Super 35mm. Panavision Primo lenses, 5277, 5217, 5218, 5229. Photochemical Blow-up.

#5 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:32 PM

Really? I could have sworn it looked like it was HD. It looked kind of 'plasticky' in places and loads of the wide shots looked really soft so I assumed thst it was HD...

#6 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:20 AM

I remember some of the wide shots looked soft, but that might have been a camera problem or the 17.5mm Primo lens.

The UK trailer for this film was just appaling, SD blown up to 35mm.

#7 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:51 AM

10 to 1 says that some Hollywood studio exec type decides to re-make this in LA in a few years time. Of course the cars and guns will be much bigger and louder. Just like when they re-made Luc Bessons's Nikita into The Assassin. Result? Bigger and more glamorous sets, bigger and shinier guns, bigger and louder explosions but in the end just not as good or as enjoyable.

Have a watch, tell me what you think.

I saw it last year, didn't enjoy it one bit - too Hollywood already... story was way OTT

I remember the projectionist saying he loved it - I thought I remembered an anamorphic print, but its not something I paid much attention to back then...

So there you go :rolleyes: :P

#8 Benjamin_Lussier

Benjamin_Lussier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Canada

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:09 AM

I didnt like it either... What bugged me was the editing... some really corny transitions and terrible dialogue for those who understand french.

Sorry :(

Visual Products

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab