5 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Rufail

Mike Rufail
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 June 2006 - 09:43 PM

Recently my partners and I decided to invest in a new HD camera package limited to $12,000. We researched various cameras and after testing the HVX200 we decided to go with it along with the Redrock M2 Adapter (Cinematographers HD Bundle w Arri PL mount), a 100GB Firestore, + accessories. Before I put the order in for this equipment, I wanted to see what others who have used this kind of package think about it. I haven't seen a lot of footage with the adapter, but enough to sell me. Any of your thoughts will be helpful.

FYI: The cameras applications will include Music Video, Commercial, Teasers, Rental.

Thanks,

Mike

#2 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 June 2006 - 04:32 PM

Recently my partners and I decided to invest in a new HD camera package limited to $12,000... The cameras applications will include Music Video, Commercial, Teasers, Rental.

Unless you are already an established company with a solid reputation in a specific market, you might be better off buying some stocks if you want to see a return on your investment!

#3 Mike Rufail

Mike Rufail
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:56 PM

Unless you are already an established company with a solid reputation in a specific market, you might be better off buying some stocks if you want to see a return on your investment!

I just wanted to know if anyone on the board has personally used 35mm lenses with this camera and what they thought about it. It would be even more helpful if someone has used the M2. The status of my company and our reputation is irrelevant. Last time I checked you can't shoot music videos and commercials with company stocks, but thanks for your input anyway.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 14 June 2006 - 02:01 AM

Last time I checked you can't shoot music videos and commercials with company stocks, but thanks for your input anyway.

Hi,

You used the word 'invest'. If you are looking for an investment don't buy a video camera. A good set of PL mounted lenses would hold ther value better, but will use your whole budget for some lenses.

Stephen

#5 Luke Prendergast

Luke Prendergast
  • Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Victoria Australia

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:24 AM

You left out the PL-mount lenses. Are you going to rent?

#6 Mike Rufail

Mike Rufail
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:32 AM

You left out the PL-mount lenses. Are you going to rent?

yes, we're just going to rent the cinema lenses and maybe purchase the slr mounts and other adapter mounts that would allow us to buy cheaper lenses. we are constantly being contacted by clients who have an ample budget for a project, but just off the number for film. therefore we wanted to go with a cost effective solution.

In the "Please Critique My Work" section of the forum, there is a post entitled "HVX+M2 footage" or something along those lines. That particular dp detailed what lenses he used with the camera. However, he did not use cinema lenses from what I can remember. I'm still looking for a reply from someone who has. in the meantime, are there any other concerns?

Mike

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks