5 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Debus

Jason Debus
  • Sustaining Members
  • 311 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:29 PM

Caught this movie this weekend and really enjoyed it overall. Has a genuine US midwest feel along with an Altman sensibility. The cinematography was excellent, I really like Ed Lachman's use of color.

The only complaint I have is the artifacts in the green & cyan highlights, apparently this is a problem with the Sony F900? You can't really tell based upon these screen caps of the trailer, but in the theater the green on Lindsey's blond hair and the cyan used in Woody Harrelson & John C. Reilly's routine would have issues:

Posted Image
Posted Image

The latest ASC has a good article on it, (excerpt quote from Ed Lachman) but I'm still unclear what the real problem was:

?I generally work with a lot with gels, and I like to manipulate color temperature. I use color contrast within the frame, and it?s very important to me how one color plays against another and how that comes back on film. I discovered that digital [sensors] were more responsive to some of my gels and less responsive to others than film. For example, purples and blues responded differently than they do on film, warm colors tend to bleed if they?re very saturated, and some portions of the green spectrum can be very hard to capture. As a result, I had to do a lot of experimenting with gels to get the results I was after.?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:47 PM

The problem seems to be "color clipping" when an oversaturated but bright color clips in one channel but not the other two. I've had this problem shooting HD in nightclubs with saturated color-gelled spotlights that get too bright. The solution tends to be either to underexpose the color more or reduce its saturation on the set.

#3 Tom Bays

Tom Bays
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:15 PM

That was shot like film.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:26 PM

Overall, I thought the movie looked great for HD-to-35mm anamorphic. The 4:2:2 recording to HDCAM-SR instead of the internal HDCAM VTR seemed to help take some of the contrast & color problems that the F900 normally has.

There was just one point in the movie, around the time of those clips with the green-lit scenes, as Virginia Madsen steps up into the wings to watch the show, where the movie for a little while went funny-looking, with a faint screen-door grid pattern over the image (not the pattern of a net filter though -- the squares were larger and blockier.)

#5 Tom Bays

Tom Bays
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:39 PM

I see a green tint on a lot of transfers regardless of gels or not it seems. I haven't used this camera, but when I use the DVW 790 I'd go for a flatter initial look, because that bleed can be a bear. Those colors just peak like a mother. It is harder to fix with video. I could be wrong, but I have an easier time trying to add color later.

Easy for me to say.

#6 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:35 PM

I saw this movie at the local cinema over two weeks ago. Prior to reading this thread, i had no idea that it was shot on HD. That came as a surprise to me as usually, I can tell if a projected film originated on HD. Prairie Home Companion looked surprisingly good considering. The latest Star Wars movies , which i also saw at the cinema, stuck out like a sore thumb with regards to their HD origination. I watched Spanish Apartment on the big screen and at first, I had no idea that particular film was shot on HD. The colours in that film were beautifully saturated and vibrant. However, in one of the early exterior shots, I could see what looked like pixels in the sky. From that moment on for the rest of the film, I couldn't help but notice pixels appearing in all the bright areas of the shots.

By the way, I liked the angel in Home Prairie Companion.

Edited by Patrick Cooper, 23 October 2006 - 07:37 PM.

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

The Slider

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC