12 replies to this topic

#1 grantsmith

grantsmith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:42 PM

Why, on the IMDB do they seem to ignore the camera/grip/lighting department?
Every other department seems to have its own section.

The camera department seems to be thrown into a miscalanious crew section.

#2 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 14 June 2006 - 02:40 AM

You're right. I think the main look of the site is more acting stars and so - it's for "everybody". How many of the incoming people care about a camera dept ? 10 % ? 5 % ?...

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 June 2006 - 02:58 AM

You have to consider the origins of the IMDB and who set it up.

#4 Arni Heimir

Arni Heimir
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Other
  • Reykjavik/Barcelona

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:27 AM

Amazon.com seems to be the reason behind imdb.com.

I think it is the best thing to happen to cinema since talkies.

#5 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:45 AM

IMDb started as a newsgroup for student filnerds at Oxford University in England and gradually grew to what it is today. A couple of years ago Amazon bought it. I agree - it's the best think on the internet, bar none. It's what the internet is all about.

Two things could improve, though: one is the thing brought up by the starter of the thread, and the second is that to upgrade IMDb (even if you're a trusted registered member that has provided thruthful info in the past) it takes bloody ages for them to update. Half the time they don't even do that - I changed title on one of my shorts over a year ago and nothing's happened.

#6 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:41 PM

Two things could improve, though: one is the thing brought up by the starter of the thread, and the second is that to upgrade IMDb (even if you're a trusted registered member that has provided thruthful info in the past) it takes bloody ages for them to update. Half the time they don't even do that - I changed title on one of my shorts over a year ago and nothing's happened.

---But they are very good at getting tech specs wrong, particularly in non-US films.

---LV

#7 Tasha Back

Tasha Back

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • London, England

Posted 14 June 2006 - 02:04 PM

Good point. It implies the camera department isn't as important as say the art department / sound dept / visual effects / stunts / make-up - all who get their own section whilst Camera / Grips / Lighting all have to settle for "other crew"!

This is a shame as, in the UK at least, this is an important website for crew as it is frequently used to check resumes. I imagine it's the same in the US?

So I suggest a campaign for change... To contact IMDB and suggest seperate sections for Camera, Grip and Lighting departments contact:

http://pro.imdb.com/helpdesk/contact

#8 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:17 PM

So I suggest a campaign for change... To contact IMDB and suggest seperate sections for Camera, Grip and Lighting departments contact:

http://pro.imdb.com/helpdesk/contact

Brilliant !

If several, if not many of us, do so, it might change !

The fact that we, as members of cinematography.com's forums, do ask them to do that may have some weight as well.

I suggest that we send mails to this address and that anybody who does so mentions he/she did in this very thread.

Should we agree on a common text, or just let people write their own ?

#9 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:31 PM

Please correct my english :

"I, as a professionnal DoP/cameraman/camera assistant/grip/gaffer... am registred in your database. I suffer the fact that, despite my craft and art is a major one in the film production process, your database, that is for sure a resource of great value, for the public as well as for the professional people, only considers my department as miscelenious and not as say the art department / sound dept / visual effects / stunts / make-up - all who get their own section whilst Camera / Grips / Lighting all have to settle for "other crew".

As a member of the cinematography.com's forum, I join/second my internet and professional community's colleagues as to kindly ask you if possible to create the usefull and necessary sections on your site.

Do you consider the arts of cameras and lights only "miscellenous" in the process of filmmaking ? Please reinsure us by making the required sections creations.

Best regards,

+ link to imdb's page"

What do you think ?

#10 grantsmith

grantsmith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 16 June 2006 - 04:49 PM

yay! The Camera Department revolution starts here!

Edited by grantgrant, 16 June 2006 - 04:50 PM.

#11 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:23 PM

Did you see what Hal Smith got as an answer to a requirement he made ?

http://www.cinematog...63

(I apologize again that I read too fast his post and thought some one at IMDB read this thread and posted there... :( )

It may be a problem that there are two diffrent threads related to the same topic, BTW...

Also, I think that if major DoPs such as David M, K. Zanit and many others would join us in mailing to IMDB, it would help as well...

#12 Wilkin Chau

Wilkin Chau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Grip

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:16 AM

Please correct my english :

"I, as a professionnal DoP/cameraman/camera assistant/grip/gaffer... am registred in your database. I suffer the fact that, despite my craft and art is a major one in the film production process, your database, that is for sure a resource of great value, for the public as well as for the professional people, only considers my department as miscelenious and not as say the art department / sound dept / visual effects / stunts / make-up - all who get their own section whilst Camera / Grips / Lighting all have to settle for "other crew".

As a member of the cinematography.com's forum, I join/second my internet and professional community's colleagues as to kindly ask you if possible to create the usefull and necessary sections on your site.

Do you consider the arts of cameras and lights only "miscellenous" in the process of filmmaking ? Please reinsure us by making the required sections creations.

Best regards,

+ link to imdb's page"

What do you think ?

I doubt the IMDB is going to change. The database is mainly to find actors and directors. Technical stuff like camera/grip/lighting don't really matter to them or to probably most people who surf that site. I look up that stuff from time to time but I'm a grip.

Although it does kind of irk me every time I look up a movie and see that they are pretty poor at updating the crew. Especially if it's a big mainstream movie. In fairness though, I imagine it would be hard to keep everything up to date considering how much film/TV is made each year.

#13 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:43 AM

I agree with you. On the other hand, some departments - that are just as technical (sound for instance), have their own sections,that are well recorded...

Also I think that if we don't try, it's sure we don't get anything and trying is worth it.

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Willys Widgets