Tricky two spot?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gafferdave

gafferdave
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:23 PM

Hi guys,

I've recently gained a 6 week deal with a new sattelite co in the uk as gaffer. There is no DP (or DOP), and the only requirements I've been given are 'two pools of light (no edges) - one for performers and one for judges (3 of them) - that we can dim when we want, plus a few colours in the background to distinguish locations'.

I'd basically like a bit of advice given that:
- It's for a pop idol style, break-dance competition
- We have limited rigging time
- We are at multiple locations (up to 8 - over the 6 weeks - possibly having to rig and de-rig the same day)
- PLUS - believe it or not - I'm on my todd (alone).

Let me tell you what I think, and perhaps you can offer some constructive criticism:

For performers:
Pop up two Par Cans @ approx 45 degrees to stage front (given that there are two floating cameras), and two floor cans at the front and back of the perforance area.

The Judges:
Perhaps 2 pups at 90 degrees to them and a microflo kit under each, to remain on when the performance is happening.

Background:
Not sure - maybe some 300 Fresnels with prim colours?

I'd really appreciate some advice.

Cheers,

Dave.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:21 PM

Already it sounds like more equipment than one person can (or should) handle... not to mention how you are going to power all of these lights?

If they really are serious about you working alone, I'd simplify it extremely to just two tall stands, something beefy, with a double-headed baby spud on top to put two lights on each stand, maybe just 650w Arri Fresnels, so four total. One set pointed at the judges and the other stand & lights pointed at the performers, maybe at cross-angles, maybe not if you can't separate them.

#3 gafferdave

gafferdave
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:32 PM

Hi Dave,

Thanks v much for your swift response.

Not too worried about power - still have to confirm locations, but I'm sure any decent rig (all night clubs) is going to be ok with 1k pars.

I like the idea of 650s - I like it a lot, especially as I won't need to rig any thing in the ceiling but I don't want it to look too flat, that's why I was thinking about a glow from kinos for judges (they want to see facial reactions) and floor cans for some fill for dancers? What do you reckon?

I'm also worried about seeing stands or background. They don't want to shell out for black drapes so I'm thinking spot lamps would be better (although granted, hotter).

Shooting on digibeta btw.

Dave.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:27 PM

I think it's ridiculous that this company wants you to rig a stage show basically by yourself on multiple locations. Every location should be scouted, the individual lighting situation determined, whatever lights needed are rented, and an advance crew hired to set it up before the show.

So it's the light on the judges that has to dim up & down? So maybe some little table lamps that stay on all the time?

#5 Fredrik Backar FSF

Fredrik Backar FSF
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • sweden

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:20 AM

It sounds to me like a very "swedish" do it your self situation... Becoming more and more usual here; work fast alone and with little money....
Idea: To venture further with DavidĀ“s thought about practicals, if suitable for style maybe also the dancers light could eminate from in-shot practicals hanging from celing? Lamps with very narrow shades on for "pool making" Then just some bounce fill from floor?
Dancers might even be lit with flourescent fixtures to distinguish from the judges?
Anyway; these lights would be very energy efficient and lite and could be rigged with two smaller wind-ups with a Burton-pipe between them on some big bens...
Junior booms are also nice for keeping lights out of shot.
Sound like something?
Fred.

Opal

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Glidecam

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC