TauFactor - Motionless

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan Donnelly

Nathan Donnelly
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:33 PM

Hey guys! We've just wrapped up our 2nd project: a music video for local industrial music act Tau Factor, and I thought I'd throw the vid up here to get some critiques. It's the most effects intensive project I've ever done, and I really pushed myself to make all of these shots work the way our client wanted them to. The main parts were shot over the course of two days onboard the USS Turner Joy in Bremerton, WA, and the rest were shot inside my apartment, of all places. :lol:

Specs:
camera: bone stock XL2
lights: I brought my own lights, but ended up using the ship's lighting to create the mood. They worked magnificently!
edited on: FCP with the help of Motion and Photoshop for fx

Enjoy!

TauFactor - Motionless

#2 legacy1436

legacy1436

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:04 PM

Nice work, I think you could have thrown alot more shots in. The beat is semi-fast and it feels like the cut is slightly slow. Sometimes it would even go to black for a 1/2 second or so. I love the mood and feel of the shots. What effects or color correction did you do with shots such as the opening shot, or was the location just that gritty and cool looking.

#3 peter orland

peter orland
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:22 PM

Great work. When I watched the small QT screen I tended to agree with the previous poster about the tempo of the cutting. But when I blew it up to full screen (dell 24") it felt right, there is a lot of details in the shots that are interesting that you don't see on the small QT movie.

Would like to know what work was done fx wise? Which shots are your apartment?

#4 Nathan Donnelly

Nathan Donnelly
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:46 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys! Legacy1436, as far as pacing goes, I agree with you. I honestly wish we had more shots to put in there. When we were given permission to shoot on the ship, it would be during business hours (they have self-guided tours) and aside from the engine rooms, we were dodging customers and had very little time to set up & get the shots. Thankfully there was a Seahawks game going on that day so most everyone from that part of town was in Seattle. :) I knew pacing was going to be a problem, hence the fast still clips before the choruses.

For color correction, everything was handled by Final Cut Pro. The automated effects were just some tweaked Motion animations, and the "hologram" (Lord I hope Lucas doesnt send lawyers after me..) was also all FCP and some "video scan lines" created in Photoshop. Gotta love Blend Modes. :)

The shots in my apartment were the ones with the singer and the lightstand. I exposed the shot dark enough to where you couldnt see the wall behind him, and it looks like the lights are a set of microphones or some techy thing. The hologram scenes were also shot at my place with the singer in front of a greenscreen.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

CineTape

The Slider

Paralinx LLC