4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Regan

Jeff Regan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:24 PM

I did some tests to see the depth of field differences between a 1/3" CCD imager vs. a 2/3" CCD as well as a 2/3" with P+S Technik Pro 35 35mm adapter and 35mm cine prime lens. I used a Panasonic DVX 100A, Sony DSR-450WS with Fujinon 15X8 zoom lens and DSR-450WS with Pro 35 adaptor with Zeiss 65mm Super Speed T1.3 prime lens.

The DVX 100A had a focal length of 20mm at F2.8, the DSR-450WS had a focal length of 30mm at F2.8 and the Zeiss prime was at T1.3. Below are the DVX-100 and DSR-450WS with standard lens......

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
www.ssv.com

Attached Images

• dsr450.jpg
  • dvx100a.jpg

Edited by Jeff Regan, 13 June 2006 - 09:28 PM.

#2 Jeff Regan

Jeff Regan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:38 PM

The thumb nail in the post above on the left is the DSR-450WS w/Fujinon 15X8, on the right is the DVX-100A,
and I can't seem to post the 450 w/Pro 35 and prime due to forum bandwidth limitations.

Jeff Regan

Edited by Jeff Regan, 13 June 2006 - 09:43 PM.

#3 Hans Kellner

Hans Kellner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other
  • Northern California

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for the comparison. Interesting to see the differences.

#4 Joshua Provost

Joshua Provost
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:16 PM

Jeff,

Interesting. There is a big difference, though, between the DOF of F2.8 and with the lenses wide open, which is probably F1.6 on these cams. Would like to see a shot at F2.8, and a shot at F1.7 with 1.5 stops worth of ND on there. Of course, the relative DOF remains the same: twice as much DOF for the 1/3" cam.

Josh

#5 Jeff Regan

Jeff Regan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:51 AM

Jeff,

Interesting. There is a big difference, though, between the DOF of F2.8 and with the lenses wide open, which is probably F1.6 on these cams. Would like to see a shot at F2.8, and a shot at F1.7 with 1.5 stops worth of ND on there. Of course, the relative DOF remains the same: twice as much DOF for the 1/3" cam.

Josh

Josh,

I chose to shoot both the regular lenses at F2.8 because the DVX 100A has an F2.4 max. F-stop, and while
the Fujinon 15X8 has a F1.7 max F-stop, I don't normally shoot wide open due to portholing, softening, fringing, and light level fall off, plus the DVX-100A can't open beyond F2.4, so F2.8 seemed like a good compromise.

The Zeiss Super Speeds are optimized to shoot at T1.3, so it made sense to shoot at that exposure, especially since the Pro 35 has approx. one and a half stops of light loss.

I wish I could post the Pro 35 thumbnail. You can see it at www.dvxuser.com, under "Other Cameras", but
you'll have to register.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
www.ssv.com

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Technodolly

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS