#1 J.B.

J.B.

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:47 PM

i dont know if this can go here,if not im sorry! im new here,ok i have a sony dcr-pc9 witch i love,i edited some home videos with this pinnacle software i bought like 4 years ago,my wife's friend is geeting married and asked me to do cover the ceremony and the celebration,she's willing to pay me 500.00 ( of course i said yes!)since im in the music bussiness,i always wanted to buy me an xl 1 to do my independent music videos,and i have the cash right now to boy me one,im just not shure where,ebay i see good pricces,but i dont feel confortable with sending 2 g's and get a damaged camera,but my question is,what software do you guys recomend me to buy to mix this ceremony,the software i have dont directly burn cd's,and is kind of old,i sure technology has more to offer in this past 4 years.

i saw the new pinnacle studio media suite 10.5 it goes around 100 bucks,but i dont know if i should buy that one or anotherone,i hear adobe premiere is very good but it runs for 700 bucks,whats a good software for the money? i would like to know my choices,if is too expensive i would like to start saving,like i always said,i rather buy the best once,than buy cheap stuff three times,jejeje thanks in advance guys!!!!

#2 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:57 AM

I personally like Premiere and cannot stand Pinnacle or Vegas for that matter. The best editing software for a home computer is probably Final Cut Pro but it's only available for Mac. If it's the money, look for Premere on Ebay as well. It cheaper and you can usually get an older version for less which will work just fine unless you plan to upgrade to HDV anytime soon . Oh and this should propabaly have gone in under Editing for future refference.

Edited by Capt.Video, 14 June 2006 - 02:01 AM.

#3 J.B.

J.B.

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:12 PM

I personally like Premiere and cannot stand Pinnacle or Vegas for that matter. The best editing software for a home computer is probably Final Cut Pro but it's only available for Mac. If it's the money, look for Premere on Ebay as well. It cheaper and you can usually get an older version for less which will work just fine unless you plan to upgrade to HDV anytime soon . Oh and this should propabaly have gone in under Editing for future refference.

thanks for the advice,one question,why exactly tou dont like pinnacle? is it to plain? does premiere have more fx? i went to my friends house cause he has the 10.5 pinnacle and honnestly,i dont see much of a difference from the one i bought 4 years ago,number 7 i think it is,all the cool effects they ask you to pay from 20 to 49 dollars,i think is too much money,i want to get my hands on premiere,i hope it has a demo version, and do you know around how much the new and older versions of premiere go around? thanks again!!!

#4 J.B.

J.B.

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:51 PM

BTW: i dont see any editing section! :S is it a sub forum???

#5 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:57 PM

The best way to describe the difference between Premiere and Pinnacle is its like the difference between a pro ENG camera and a mini-DV handycam. With Pinnacle, as with a handycam, you can get acceptable results in general, but to control the specifics of the program is difficult at best. Premiere gives a cleaner interface for cutting and managing a project. Its effects are more in depth than Pinnacle.

As was mentioned earlier, Final Cut is good, but for the money I think either are great buys for someone who wants to get their feet wet. If you decide to persue it both will suit most of your needs for several years.

As for a camera, some E-bay ads are new in the box cameras. I dont have any experience personally, but my roomate bought a package he was happy with through E-Bay. I would not buy a used one. Try the DVX-100(a or B) for shooting music videos you would get much better images from it (in my opinion) and if you get really into it you can always get the andromida upgrade.

#6 J.B.

J.B.

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:54 PM

The best way to describe the difference between Premiere and Pinnacle is its like the difference between a pro ENG camera and a mini-DV handycam. With Pinnacle, as with a handycam, you can get acceptable results in general, but to control the specifics of the program is difficult at best. Premiere gives a cleaner interface for cutting and managing a project. Its effects are more in depth than Pinnacle.

As was mentioned earlier, Final Cut is good, but for the money I think either are great buys for someone who wants to get their feet wet. If you decide to persue it both will suit most of your needs for several years.

As for a camera, some E-bay ads are new in the box cameras. I dont have any experience personally, but my roomate bought a package he was happy with through E-Bay. I would not buy a used one. Try the DVX-100(a or B) for shooting music videos you would get much better images from it (in my opinion) and if you get really into it you can always get the andromida upgrade.

thanks for the explanation,its very helpfull!! i was going to buy an xl 1 this week,used but in perfect condition for 1,900.00 but now that you mentioned the dvx,i think im gonna do a research on that one too,i want to see clips from both now,jejejej thanks for everything again!!!

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies