#1 David Erickson

David Erickson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:16 PM

Has anyone successfully used the Pro-35 Adapter with the F-350 XDCAM? I am shooting a narrative short this weekend with this camera and want to use 35mm primes, but everyone that I have talked to so far says that this has never been done before.

The F-350 takes ½? lenses and the pro-35 is 2/3?. The camera comes with a ½? to 2/3? adapter, but the question is whether or not that will affect the calibrations of the pro-35 adapter.

Also, does anyone have a final answer for what the ISO rating is for this camera? I?ve read in other posts that because it has a ½? chip, the ISO should be half that of the F-900. Is that correct? So would the ISO be 160?

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:33 PM

The 1/2" to 2/3" adapter should work fine and the Pro-35 has a backfocus adjustment to set it properly. But that mount adapter is mechanical not optical, which means that you will not get the full field of view that you would see on a 2/3" camera. So if you go to a wider lens for a wider frame, you begin to negate the point of using the Pro-35 in the first place. So the answer is yes you can use it, but you may not be as happy with the result. I would sooner suggest using something like a set of Digiprimes with the mount adapter.

The camera's ISO is something around 120, depending how one rates such things. It is about a stop less sensitive than the F900.

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:55 PM

That 1/2 to 2/3" adapter would entail a small light loss as well, wouldn't it? (I haven't seen it so I don't know how deep it is to calculate the loss). 1-2 stops for the Pro35, minus say a partial stop for the adapter, taken from 160(ish) and you're down to what, somewhere between 64 and 25 ASA? Hope the shoot is a day exterior...

#4 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:38 PM

The one I am using right now, apparently has a PL mount adaptor for regulat 35 lenses. Might not be what you are asking, but I'm sure there is croppage, or vignetting.

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Tai Audio