#2 Daniel Stigler

Daniel Stigler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Berlin, Germany

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:51 PM

I once did. Image steadiness was rocksolid. But you have to be careful. These are old cameras. The BL2 was built from 1975 to 1980, so the one you're shooting with will at least be 26 years old. No problem, if it was maintained well during these years.
Do you have a chance to do a steadytest before shooting?

#3 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 15 June 2006 - 09:56 PM

I did a test at 24fps, and it was perfect.

The camera has been very well maintained over the years by a DOP who had it serviced at Arri NY. He sent me the last service records when I bought it off him, they did some work on it.

Today in Toronto another senior camera tech looked it over and did some tweeking, he thought every thing looked to be in top shape.

I could do another reg test at 50 fps to be sure, but it just means more time more money and I have to rent the speed controller as I don't have one.

The 50 fps will be needed for 3-4 shots on this job. I know higher speeds put more wear on the movement of any camera at any age.

Thanks for the info.

R.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:15 AM

I did a test at 24fps, and it was perfect.

The camera has been very well maintained over the years by a DOP who had it serviced at Arri NY. He sent me the last service records when I bought it off him, they did some work on it.

Today in Toronto another senior camera tech looked it over and did some tweeking, he thought every thing looked to be in top shape.

I could do another reg test at 50 fps to be sure, but it just means more time more money and I have to rent the speed controller as I don't have one.

The 50 fps will be needed for 3-4 shots on this job. I know higher speeds put more wear on the movement of any camera at any age.

Thanks for the info.

R.

Richard,

I am sure it will be perfect. Its a pin registered movement. The BL1's went to 100fps, so the gate is overengineered. The advance has only 2 claws and not 4 for lower noise level. If the film runs and takes up work I would be 99% happy.

If its a $50,000 shoot then you need to test ideally with the same stock you will use for the shoot. A high speed scratch test makes sense in any event.

Stephen

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery