John Carreon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Orange County, CA.

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:01 PM

Hey Everyone,

I have more expertise in the film area but I'm shooting in a few days with the new Canon HD100, unfortunately due to someone's lack of planning I won't be able to get my hands on it till the shoot day...good times...I've scoured the net and read the instruction manual over a few times but it's pretty bare...

I had some questions hopefully you can help me with:

1)Pg. 62 f the Manual (Aspect) It says that if you output the video in 16:9 ratio that you lose resolution in the vertical direction as opposed to shooting in the 4:3 Ratio...a few pages later (pg. 65_V/H Balance) It says you can sharpen the vertical contours if needed...will this help the loss of resolution or is this like apples and oranges?!?

2)The Motion Smoothing Capability?!? Would you recommend this? I was slightly confused on whether this would be beneficial to the look...I guess it just makes it smoother which I think is a good thing...

3)Zebra Patterns; At what percentage does it show you the spots that are going to Blow Out? What's a good level to set it at?

4)I'm shooting a very dark scene where there is going to be lots of blacks and shadows and some spotlighted areas...will STRETCHING the blacks give me a better shadow area or am I going to get more noise in there if I do it?

Thanks for everything, hopefully these aren't too rudimentary or annoying. Any and all info will be much appreciated.

John

#2 John Carreon

John Carreon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Orange County, CA.

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:12 PM

Me again,

Also is there a way to make the reds POP out? I know red causes some problems in video but I would love to make the red colors really stand out...or should I just leave this to the post people?!?

Thanks,

John

Abel Cine

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery