7 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:41 AM

In normal lighting situations my incident meter gives spot on exposures but in extreme low light situations it gives me a reading that gives the shot image far too much exposure. Help appreciated on the best way to meter lowlight scenes

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:31 AM

In normal lighting situations my incident meter gives spot on exposures but in extreme low light situations it gives me a reading that gives the shot image far too much exposure. Help appreciated on the best way to meter lowlight scenes

Maybe your meter needs adjustment, or maybe you actually don't need a full exposure to get the look you want at night in low-light, therefore it looks too bright to your eye. Or maybe it's just being timed / transferred incorrectly. How are you viewing the results? What film stocks are you using? What are the typical "low" light levels you are talking about? T/2.0 at 500 ASA?

Most incident meters should be able to give you an accurate reading in low-light.

#3 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for your quick reply David.

I recently bought a 16mm camera and before putting any film through it thought I'd test a stills camera with the same film (Foma B&W 100) just to check on exposure. Everything i've shot exterior in full and overcast daylight has been fine but interiors in dimly lit late evening window light, and exposed at incident meter readout have come back overexposed.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:25 PM

Try testing with color reversal, like Ektachrome 160T maybe, and see if you have the same problems. It may be a Foma b&w issue in terms of speed changing under different color temps.

I'm assuming you know how to use the meter in terms of setting the shutter speed and ASA...

#5 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3056 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 June 2006 - 02:58 PM

If you expose as per your meter in daylight, you'll get an image that looks correctly exposed for daylight. If you do the same at dusk, you'll get an image that is 'overexposed'. Dusk is underexposed by its nature. Your meter doesn't know what time of day it is, or how you want it to look, and just gives a reading for the correct exposure of 18% gray.

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:20 PM

If you expose as per your meter in daylight, you'll get an image that looks correctly exposed for daylight. If you do the same at dusk, you'll get an image that is 'overexposed'. Dusk is underexposed by its nature. Your meter doesn't know what time of day it is, or how you want it to look, and just gives a reading for the correct exposure of 18% gray.

That's what I mean by it depending on the look you want -- often night scenes look "correct" a little on the darker side than day scenes. But it sounds more like he's getting real exposure mistakes. But a typical incident meter isn't going to have a problem taking readings in a moderately low-light interior.

#7 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 18 June 2006 - 03:20 AM

I think that Stuart might have nailed it here. The lowlight I was metering was giving me a something in the region of 1/2sec at F2.8 at 100ASA. Would it be better if i incident metered as normal then put a gray card in the scene to see how many stops darker it looked than in normal daylight then underexposed my reading by this difference.

Thanks, Tim

#8 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 18 June 2006 - 04:22 AM

I think that Stuart might have nailed it here. The lowlight I was metering was giving me a something in the region of 1/2sec at F2.8 at 100ASA. Would it be better if i incident metered as normal then put a gray card in the scene to see how many stops darker it looked than in normal daylight then underexposed my reading by this difference.

Thanks, Tim

Hi,

I would follow David's advice and shoot some reversal using a 35mm stills camera. By bracketing exposures and taking notes you will learn how to read you light meter. After a time you will know about what the reading should be in any case.
I have had assistant take a reading and be 4 stops off by looking at the wrong scale!

Stephen

Opal

CineTape

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

CineLab