VHS editing for digibeta conforming?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 filmguy

filmguy
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:22 AM

I shot many 400ft. rolls of super 16mm and had it transferred to digibeta. I then had VHS dubs made for screening purposes. I am extremely short on funds and am now trying to edit. I'm wondering if editing on VHS is a viable option? I know it's rather old school. But for cost purposes is it an option for me to edit on VHS and then have the lab conform from my digibeta tapes? This would then give me a better quality picture, which could be transferred to DVD. However, in terms of sound- when would the mix happen? Would the sound mix happen after the lab conforms from my digibeta tapes. Could I edit on VHS, then have the picture conformed from my digibeta, then have the sound mixed on the digibeta and then transfer to DVD? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:28 PM

If you have a VHS "window burn" showing digibeta time code, you certainly can offline edit with VHS, generate the edit decision list, then take it to the post house for final assembly in digibeta. As for sound, check with your post house for options - you have several possible work flows with different price structures. Go for one you can afford and can handle the complexity of your mix. Try for simplicity - it's cheaper.

#3 filmguy

filmguy
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:52 AM

If you have a VHS "window burn" showing digibeta time code, you certainly can offline edit with VHS, generate the edit decision list, then take it to the post house for final assembly in digibeta. As for sound, check with your post house for options - you have several possible work flows with different price structures. Go for one you can afford and can handle the complexity of your mix. Try for simplicity - it's cheaper.

Thanks for the feedback. I do have a VHS window burn and so I think I'll go the offline route and log a very thorough decision list on paper as well. I'll try to keep the sound simple. Do you think the tracks can be utilized from my digibeta when it is conformed? If I have dialogue over an image for example, can I keep a separate decision list for sound? Most of it will be the already in sync dialogue. That should keep it mostly simple. In terms of added music I think I can provide that to the lab on CD when they conform the digibeta and they can lay that in. Does this sound realistic and reasonable in terms of cost?

#4 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:27 PM

Talk to your local post audio house to find out their capabilities. What most people do nowadays is transfer the sound elements off to Pro Tools or some similar digital audio editor, mix on the computer, then spit back onto tape later. Some places have more elaborate, expensive tools such as AMS / Neve consoles. Your main concern with the mix and transfer is to ensure that you don't lose sync, because detecting and correcting subtle sync errors can be trickier than anticipated and very expensive if not caught in time.

#5 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:48 PM

If the lab has digi tape decks, they can handle rolling video over audio, and dubbing with sound. The question is how you communicate your decisions to them. Is there any chance you could edit with a non-linear and produce a machine-generated EDL that a computer could read and automate the edit? If its automated or near automated, you would get a much better rate than if a person has to interpret your list.

A computer capable of that can be had quite cheap (and sold afterwards) you may even be able to borrow a friends computer, then you only need to get an old copy of adobe premiere.

Paralinx LLC

Opal

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Abel Cine

Technodolly