Michael Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Other
  • Toronto, Canada via Huntington Beach, California

Posted 18 June 2006 - 05:09 PM

Hello There,

Does anyone here know anything about the 16mm Kodak Reflex Special? I was told that Kodak only made about 800 of these before they stopped making them? They are from late '60s early '70s?

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:02 PM

Hello There,

Does anyone here know anything about the 16mm Kodak Reflex Special? I was told that Kodak only made about 800 of these before they stopped making them? They are from late '60s early '70s?

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

Back when I started at Kodak in the early 1970's, our demo production staff still had a 16mm Kodak Reflex Special in their inventory. I actually used it to make a short film that was part of my training process at Kodak. Unfortunately, the camera and any manuals are long gone.

You might check with Todd Gustavson, equipment curator at the International Museum of Photography at the George Eastman House. Kodak donated many items and documents from its patent museum to the GEH:

http://www.eastman.org/

http://www.eastmanho.../technology.php

#3 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:15 PM

Hello There,

---The 1st edition of the Verne Carlson camera book has a chapter on it.

The basic body of it seems to be a Cine Special with the 100' magazine permantly attached.

---LV

#4 Johnathan

Johnathan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:43 AM

Do you know anyone who would be interested in purchasing a Kodak Reflex Special with all lenses and 3 mags included? I inherited one and have no use for it. I am sure someone out there would love to have this rare jewel.

Best Regards,

Johnathan Gwyn

424-645-9882

Back when I started at Kodak in the early 1970's, our demo production staff still had a 16mm Kodak Reflex Special in their inventory. I actually used it to make a short film that was part of my training process at Kodak. Unfortunately, the camera and any manuals are long gone.

You might check with Todd Gustavson, equipment curator at the International Museum of Photography at the George Eastman House. Kodak donated many items and documents from its patent museum to the GEH:

http://www.eastman.org/

http://www.eastmanho.../technology.php

Attached Images

• kodak3.JPG

#5 Johnathan

Johnathan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:13 PM

Do you know anyone who would be interested in purchasing a Kodak Reflex Special with all lenses and 2 mags included? I inherited one and have no use for it. I am sure someone out there would love to have this rare jewel.

Best Regards,

Johnathan Gwyn

424-645-9882
[/quote]

#6 Herb Montes

Herb Montes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Other
  • Gulf Coast of Texas

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:36 PM

Do you know anyone who would be interested in purchasing a Kodak Reflex Special with all lenses and 2 mags included? I inherited one and have no use for it. I am sure someone out there would love to have this rare jewel.

Best Regards,

Johnathan Gwyn

424-645-9882

Depends on what you're asking for it. Last year I was looking for one at the same time I was trying to get a 16mm Mitchell. Now I got a Mitchell being delivered to me so I don't know if I got enough to spare to get the Kodak.

#7 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:21 PM

Depends on what you're asking for it. Last year I was looking for one at the same time I was trying to get a 16mm Mitchell. Now I got a Mitchell being delivered to me so I don't know if I got enough to spare to get the Kodak.

Somebody selling one on ebay right now thinks it's worth $25,000.

I wish I lived in that same fantasy world, good god! :)

#8 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:10 PM

Somebody selling one on ebay right now thinks it's worth $25,000.

I wish I lived in that same fantasy world, good god! :)

Patrick,

There's someone selling an Arriflex 16S on eBay right now, asking $5800. I think they drank the same Kool-Aid.

Best,
-Tim

#9 Billy Furnett

Billy Furnett
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:56 PM

I?ve never seen one of these (Like the pic above), but it looks like it might have been a cool camera, did this line fail and/or were there only a relatively small amount made?

:)

#10 Herb Montes

Herb Montes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Other
  • Gulf Coast of Texas

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:06 AM

I?ve never seen one of these (Like the pic above), but it looks like it might have been a cool camera, did this line fail and/or were there only a relatively small amount made?

:)

They were a high quality camera but not many were made. At the time Kodak was competing against other brands like Arriflex and Bolex who were better established. I believe Kodak used their own proprietary lens mount which meant not a lot of choices for lenses.

#11 Ron Olmstead

Ron Olmstead
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:58 PM

Hello There,

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

1962 or so, We used 1 or 2 Times, Did not Make the list, too maney Hand Helds at that time. Too late, too Big.10 Years too Late, gave them to collages. RFO

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider