2 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:36 PM

I recently completed a commercial for Greenpeace where we concluded the spot with some in-camera streaking. We tested the effect at Arri Media in London and it was only visible from around 110-120 degrees offset and upwards. Obviously it affects the hightlights (like the bulbs in this shot) first.

The streaking in the commercial was basically me twiddling the offset between 120 degrees and 170 degrees during the take. Anything above say 160 degrees, makes the streaks go all across the frame vertically and start to bleed into the next frame, depending on which way you make the streaks go (you can switch between upwards and downwards).

I hope to be able to upload the test footage we shot sometime soon for those who are interested. It might give a more accurate feel for what it does at specific mistiming angles.

http://www.adamfrisc...ials/index.html

#2 Joshua Reis

Joshua Reis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:38 AM

The commercial looks amazing Adam. Actualy, you have a very impressive body of work. I'd figured I'd add to this thread. I recently shot a Super 16 rock music video where streaking (camera phasing) was added digitaly in post. We chose to do the streaking in post so that the intensity could be variable and is essentialy keyframed by the waveform of the music in some parts. Most of the phasing is near the end, during the rain in the performance. Digital is digital, and in some ways not as wondferful and as organic as in camera streaking.

http://joshuareis.co...r_Amundsen.html

Regards

#3 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:53 AM

Thanks, Josh. Nicely shot video - I especially liked the wide shots at the beginning.

Yeah, I've done streaking in post a couple of times and if given enough TLC they can look pretty much the same, really. What you rarely get going the post route is that slight ghosting or streaking from paler or less light stuff, which can be quite nice.

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Tai Audio

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC