tony corella

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:37 AM

Hey Guys,

I have heard various accounts of what the camera can actually shoot. I have it for a short film shoot on July 10th and we are trying to figure out our shooting format. I know that it does true 720 24p but I would rather not compromise the resolution if I can shoot true 1080i and convert it in post to 24p or shoot in the supposed 24 1080 mode. Anyone tried this or tried the supposed 24 mode in 1080? It is for a short film, no film out, just want the best filmic look possible with the camera.

tony corella

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:24 PM

720P and 1080i have similar resolutions in many ways, besides the camera has to uprez internally to get to 1080i or 1080P, so you're probably best off shooting in 24P/720, unless for some reason your editing system can only handle 1080i. In terms of the film look, 24P would look the same in terms of filmic motion rendition whether in 480, 720 or 1080.

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:45 PM

It's my understanding that the HVX records 24P onto 1080/60i by adding a 3:2 pulldown, in the same manner that the DVX-100 does with 480/60i SD. So if you're not going back out to film or need a "true" 24P signal for some reason, you've got your 24P motion with 1080i in-camera. (Someone correct me if I've got that wrong).

As David mentioned the camera "upconverts" from a smaller pixel count anyway, so I'm not sure how much more resolution difference you're going to see between 720 and 1080 on the same sized screen, anyway. But then I've never compared the two formats on the HVX myself; I'm sure there are others here who do it regularly.

Is your final output going to be on DVD only (480p), or do you need a full 1080 HD master? If it's DVD only, 720 may be good enough for you. You also need to consider the post path, and if your system can handle both 720/24P and 1080/60i (many systems can do both, so it may not matter).

#4 tony corella

tony corella

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:30 PM

It's my understanding that the HVX records 24P onto 1080/60i by adding a 3:2 pulldown, in the same manner that the DVX-100 does with 480/60i SD. So if you're not going back out to film or need a "true" 24P signal for some reason, you've got your 24P motion with 1080i in-camera. (Someone correct me if I've got that wrong).

As David mentioned the camera "upconverts" from a smaller pixel count anyway, so I'm not sure how much more resolution difference you're going to see between 720 and 1080 on the same sized screen, anyway. But then I've never compared the two formats on the HVX myself; I'm sure there are others here who do it regularly.

Is your final output going to be on DVD only (480p), or do you need a full 1080 HD master? If it's DVD only, 720 may be good enough for you. You also need to consider the post path, and if your system can handle both 720/24P and 1080/60i (many systems can do both, so it may not matter).

Thanks for the responses guys. The final output is going to be to a D5 tape for the master and then whatever other formats festivals will take. Thanks.

tony

#5 David Cramton

David Cramton

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:36 AM

Hey Guys,

I have heard various accounts of what the camera can actually shoot. I have it for a short film shoot on July 10th and we are trying to figure out our shooting format. I know that it does true 720 24p but I would rather not compromise the resolution if I can shoot true 1080i and convert it in post to 24p or shoot in the supposed 24 1080 mode. Anyone tried this or tried the supposed 24 mode in 1080? It is for a short film, no film out, just want the best filmic look possible with the camera.
tony corella

Hi all.

From what I've read in various places, the camera's native resolution is between 720 and 1080, somewhere around 934. It acheives the 1080 by pixel shifting. There is a small but measurable increase in resolution when using the 1080 settings. I don't have a resolution chart to test it myself. The two look very close to me.

Regards,
Dave Cramton

#6 Douglas Hunter

Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:11 PM

I've shot with this camera a number of times in 1080i

the only issues I would warn you about are that if you are using the firestore drives they can not record all the frame rates that the camera can generate, and the regular batteries did not last as long as they needed to. Second, the camera does not do well in low light, in a number of context we saw lots of blocky looking noise in the darker areas of the frame. This noise is different than the more grain like noise typical of the signal in a scene with greater illumination. and yes this footage was recorded in DVCPRO HD and we viewed it on a HD CTR.

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Opal

Visual Products

Tai Audio

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC