14 replies to this topic

#1 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:38 AM

I watched the HBO show "Entourage" for the first time -it looked great - and noticed in the credits that
it was shot with an Arricam Studio camera. I'm not real familiar with the Studio but I wondered why
they would use it as opposed to say a 535B when the Studio seems bigger and although perhaps
more blimped; the extra degree of blimping (if I'm accurate about that) might not be necesssary and the
seemingly larger size would maybe be harder to work with given the numerous location and car scenes I
saw. I didn't see any scenes in which a whisper quiet camera would be called for as far as I could tell.
Anybody know or have thoughts on this?
Thanks!

Edited by DPinthewilderness, 23 June 2006 - 11:41 AM.

#2 Chance Shirley

Chance Shirley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:16 PM

Seems like I heard they shot Entourage on Super 16.

#3 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:16 PM

The Arricam ST is not only lighter than a 535B, but it is also a more modern camera. Meaning that it has some extra features that a 535 does not have, like an electronic shutter, LDS, etc... On top of that it is also pretty much the quietest camera one can rent.

#4 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:38 PM

Thanks. Is there an Arricam Studio 16? (I didn't see one when I looked.) Could they be shooting in Super
16 with the Studio?

#5 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:53 PM

Thanks. Is there an Arricam Studio 16? (I didn't see one when I looked.) Could they be shooting in Super
16 with the Studio?

No. The only Arricam models are 35mm. The modern Arri 16mm products are the SR line and now the 416.

I read an article about Entourage several months ago and I don't recall any mention of 16mm. I believe it's 35 but I could be wrong. I've never even seen the show...

#6 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:12 PM

No. The only Arricam models are 35mm. The modern Arri 16mm products are the SR line and now the 416.

I read an article about Entourage several months ago and I don't recall any mention of 16mm. I believe it's 35 but I could be wrong. I've never even seen the show...

Never seen much of the show but the Arrican ST makes a lot of sense. It's quite small, very easy to work with, and extremely quiet. You can run film through it and, even with your ear touching the body door, hardly hear a thing.

#7 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:44 PM

It's definately 35mm, and they do shoot with the Arricam. They bring in the LT for steadicam.

#8 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:24 PM

I think the question should be why WOULDN't they use the Arricam? What production would not want to use the latest, greatest camera, full of modern convenient features and in brand new condition?

#9 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:41 AM

I have seen them shooting around here with Arricams, so its 35 for sure.

#10 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:01 AM

I think the question should be why WOULDN't they use the Arricam? What production would not want to use the latest, greatest camera, full of modern convenient features and in brand new condition?

Beats me. They're sexy, sexy cameras. B)

#11 Alec Jarnagin

Alec Jarnagin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • New York City

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:18 AM

35mm. Arricam ST & LT. Lots of hand held and a little Steadicam. Visited the set and now working with the DP, Steve Fierberg on a film in NYC.

Of, 535B is a boat anchor compared to an LT (and even an ST).

Edited by Alec Jarnagin, 24 June 2006 - 02:19 AM.

#12 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:57 AM

Alec, glad to see you here. When did you visit? When you were in town a few months ago?

#13 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:59 AM

Hey, you guys are great. I usually shoot low budget and even in 35mm often still use a BL-4. That's no
excuse for not educating myself on the latest cameras, etc. but I fell behind on this one and the word
"studio" made me think of some big monster camera - and when I checked the Arri website before
posting my question I didn't cotton to the fact that it's not a behomoth. I learned a lot. Thanks!

#14 Alec Jarnagin

Alec Jarnagin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • New York City

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:38 AM

Brad,

Actually, I visited the set last year while in LA. I've know Steve socially for awhile because Jendra took a Master class with him some time ago. Last time Steve was in NYC shooting something I was unavailable to work with him so I'm really glad to finally make it happen.

Regarding the forum, yes, its been a LONG time (so long that it seems I had to sign up and now I'm a Newbie since it no longer shares IDs with the Steadicam Forum - I just noticed all the typos from my exhausted state last night and I can't edit them!). Geez, you're out of it for a little while and look what happens (to paraphrase Han Solo's line from Return of the Jedi).... David Mullen joins the Union and then ASC! Congarts David. Don't even know if you remember me because I've always spent most of my time at the sister site, but I'm good friends with Mitch Gross and been following your career for awhile. I was going to introduce myself to you at the ASC awards (open house), but I couldn't ever get close enough to you because of your own entourage!

Brad, have a blast tonight.

#15 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:29 PM

Brad, have a blast tonight.

Thanks buddy. We'll miss you, and I'll be sure to have a beer for you.

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

CineTape

Tai Audio