CP-16R repainted in arri style gray

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Skates

Robert Skates
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:41 AM

I thought this might be of interest to the CP owners out there. A few months ago I got a great deal on a late model CP-16R/A. I was in fairly good condition. One of the mags door locks needed some attention. The drive mag take up belt needed to be replaced. So while I had every thing partly disassembled, I decided to strip it down to its parts and repaint it in arri style gray. It's not as sleek as the black, but it does have a more modern look. Here is a link to some photos.

http://www.sk8scamer...m/CP16GRAY.html

By the way. The Canon 12-120 w/zoom motor & grip control is still on ebay. Check to classified section for the link. It is the same lens featured in the photos.

Robert Skates

#2 Rob van Gelder

Rob van Gelder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:33 AM

I am not a CP owner but I must congratulate you on that paint-job! Very well done.
I have seen repainted Moviecams in worse shape, and that was from a rental house!

#3 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:18 PM

Yes, that's a nice job you did on that camera. What's your opinion of the CP-16R? It's an older camera by now, and most have seen heavy use in newsgathering. Is it worth repairing or sending out for overhaul? Have you considered a conversion for Super16? Is the smearing image issue a line stopper for the older bow-tie shutter cameras?

You say you repaired it yourself - how do you get the d@$% thing apart? I pulled the case bolts on mine yet the thing is locked together tight as a drum.

#4 Luke Prendergast

Luke Prendergast
  • Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Victoria Australia

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:50 PM

You say you repaired it yourself - how do you get the d@$% thing apart? I pulled the case bolts on mine yet the thing is locked together tight as a drum.

There's a seal around the join. Give it a (gentle) whack with a hammer around the corners and it will give.

#5 Robert Skates

Robert Skates
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:56 AM

There's a seal around the join. Give it a (gentle) whack with a hammer around the corners and it will give.

Spot on advise. The battery side has a nice seal that takes some force to separate. Once it is apart be sure to unplug the power cable that connects the two. It should be a simple gray plug, very straight forward. I found a service manual on ebay, very helpful.

-Robert Skates

#6 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:12 PM

Nice job!
I love my CP16R.
I had it modified & gone through by Paul Hillman at Visual Products, who is a genius with these cameras.
They're dead quiet, there are great lenses for them, and fairly cheap.
I'll never sell mine!

MP

#7 Robert Skates

Robert Skates
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:13 AM

Matt,
I agree, they are great cameras. I have a later model that came from the factory video tap ready. I've nearly assembled all the bits I need for my own custom video tap. If all goes well I should be done in 2-3 weeks.

I found some very inexpensive 15mm mini rods. They are the Century style ones made for the Canon XL1. They turn up on ebay all the time. A company in india makes them. Only $69.00 and they work perfectly on the CP. I'll post a pic soon.

The CP is a very under rated camera. If your only CP experience is with a beat up film school rental that has never been serviced, then I can understand why people are less than thrilled about the camera. It is not an Aaton or an Arri SR. I do think it beats the eclairs. Sure the eclair coax mag and varible shutter on the NPR are nice. I'll take the CP viefinder optics over the eclair. The CP lens mount is more stable. The CP is better for handheld. But that is my opinion, and as they say, The right tool for the right job.

Robert Skates

#8 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 01 July 2006 - 04:27 PM

That CP-16R looks sweet man, how cheap can a CP16R possibly be.

#9 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 01 July 2006 - 05:14 PM

By that I mean CP-16 as well.

Edited by Matthew Buick, 01 July 2006 - 05:15 PM.

#10 Timothy David Orme

Timothy David Orme
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Director
  • Boise, ID

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:42 PM

Robert--

I'd love to see a picture of how those century rods work with the camera and mattebox. where did you get them for that price? i need to get some myself.

--Tim

#11 Robert Skates

Robert Skates
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:45 PM

Robert--

I'd love to see a picture of how those century rods work with the camera and mattebox. where did you get them for that price? i need to get some myself.

--Tim

I'll try to get some pictures up on Sunday. Since the rod are adjustable, I'm planning on borrowing an Arri SR mate box. The old SR matte box should allow me to get the rods set to the right height. I got the rods on ebay from dv-shop23. Here is the link to the item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...ewI...N:IT&rd=1

Robert Skates

#12 Timothy David Orme

Timothy David Orme
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Director
  • Boise, ID

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:11 PM

Hi Robert--

I'm glad you're going to post pictures. I really appreciate it. I've been researching matteboxes for the CP-16R for a while now with no luck, so I'm going to take whatever advice you have to put one together.

If you'd like to talk about this on a one on one basis or email me any of the other pictures feel free to do so at bornmadfilms@gmail.com

--Tim

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Glidecam