3 replies to this topic

#1 Ted Hinkle

Ted Hinkle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:25 PM

Ok this is my first big shoot. I own a wedding video business and have always used the lighting of my natural surroundings, but now we've started to take on the business field and we've been hired to do an intructional video for an indoor home heating appliance. The video is going to be shot in their showroom which makes it look like a person's house. The video will include a detailed description of how to care for and clean the appliance. At this point we're unsure wether or not we'll be shooting somebody explaining how their appliance works or just showing a hand in the frame doing the work while a voiceover explains what to do. In either case we want to be prepared to have something for lighting. I have very minimal experience when it come to lighting. I want to keep it really simple. Any suggestions for what I'll need for lighting???

#2 Zamir Merali

Zamir Merali
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:03 PM

I'm no pro at lighting and cinematography but for your situation all you want to do is make sure that everything important is visible.

If you have a person use a three point lighting set up with minimal shadows. If there is only a hand just make sure you can see everything and no important details are covered by a shadow. In your situation the lighting should be pretty easy since you don't need to think about conveying meaning with the lights like you would in a narattive film.

#3 Ted Hinkle

Ted Hinkle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:47 PM

Thanks... That's pretty much what I was thinking, but does anybody have any suggestions on specifically what three point light set-up would be pretty safe to go with. Or what lights I should rent? What would my equipment list consist of? One thing I'm concerned with is that there might be some tight little shots inside of the appliance to demonstrate maintenance of the product.

#4 beanpat

beanpat
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2006 - 02:14 AM

Ok this is my first big shoot. I own a wedding video business and have always used the lighting of my natural surroundings, but now we've started to take on the business field and we've been hired to do an intructional video for an indoor home heating appliance. The video is going to be shot in their showroom which makes it look like a person's house. The video will include a detailed description of how to care for and clean the appliance. At this point we're unsure wether or not we'll be shooting somebody explaining how their appliance works or just showing a hand in the frame doing the work while a voiceover explains what to do. In either case we want to be prepared to have something for lighting. I have very minimal experience when it come to lighting. I want to keep it really simple. Any suggestions for what I'll need for lighting???

shooting the person and applience in the frame is more natural. then when the person starts to demonstrate something you can go to a close up of thier hands showing a more detailed view. then go back to a full shot when they are just talking. That should give it a much more natural flow. I recently shot an excercise video with a basic three point lighting setup. I'll attach a frame grab of what it looks like. I used one 1k open tota on camera right and a diffused panel with a 1k fresnel shooting through it on cam left then a "hair light" from behind 45deg overhead. nothing fancy but it was sufficient for this type of shoot. pilates.jpg

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Opal

CineTape

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera