#1 Sam Care

Sam Care
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:26 AM

I am shooting a film on DVCAM with a DSR 570. I want to be able to compose for a 2.35:1 aspect ratio and was wondering what would be the best way to mark up this aspect ratio in the viewfinder?

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:13 AM

If your talking about actually marking the vf with a china marker or something similar, one thing I have found to work (and this depends on equipment you have availible) you can go into photoshop and create the framings lines you want with the aspect ratio you want in a 4:3 window.

Dub that onto a tape and play that through the vtr function on the camera, then use the china pens to trace the outline. perfect center framing. now if you want a digital line, your on your own.

#3 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:42 AM

hi

i want to do the same on my next music video how is shot with pd170

where i can find a chart with mark for 2.35:1

#4 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:06 AM

i want to do the same on my next music video how is shot with pd170

where i can find a chart with mark for 2.35:1

It's easy to make one with nothing more than a ruler and a pen, but more accurate to generate one in any computer program that can do simple graphics. I usually make a 4:3 square first and then a 2.35:1 rectangle vertically centered inside that, so I have a reference for both on the monitor.

#5 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:59 AM

you know if ther is one on the net to downloud

#6 Sam Care

Sam Care
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:36 AM

I have created 2.35:1 frame lines in Photoshop within a 4:3 window and recorded that onto DVCAM as suggested. However I may want to shoot in 16:9 mode on the DSR 570 for better resolution and since the image is squeezed in the viewfinder how will this affect what I have done. Would the solution be simply creating new 2.35:1 frame lines within a 16:9 frame?

#7 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:24 PM

I have created 2.35:1 frame lines in Photoshop within a 4:3 window and recorded that onto DVCAM as suggested. However I may want to shoot in 16:9 mode on the DSR 570 for better resolution and since the image is squeezed in the viewfinder how will this affect what I have done. Would the solution be simply creating new 2.35:1 frame lines within a 16:9 frame?

that plan is probably best, since you will loose far fewer pixels recording 16x9 than 4:3 (and I think that cam is 16x9 native, right?) Since your shooting 16:9, just adjust the math you use to make the frame.

16x9 in DV is still 480x720, but the pixel ratio changes from .9 to 1.185. so if you have to get a window that is 2.35 from that. obviously you aren't cropping the sides, so the horizontal would still be 720 pixels. If we were talking about square pixels, you could calculate 720/2.35 =about 306. now factor in the 20% larger area needed to overcome the squeeze and you get almost exactly 363. So if you make a full frame 720x480 work area in photoshop, you would make a rectangle that measures 363x720. and center that in frame and record to mini-DV. make sure it plays in the 16x9 mode like it should and mark your veiwfinder.

I believe shooting 4:3 you would be recording only 720x275? so you would see a great improvement in pixel count (thats recorded pixels, actuall resolution and sharpness depends on how your camera does the 16x9)

#8 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:31 PM

Since this seems to come up time and time again I decided to throw these together and post them:
235_tv.jpg 235_16x9.jpg

It's not rocket science. A pen, a ruler, and a piece of paper are faster and simpler than all this. <_<

#9 Michael McIntyre

Michael McIntyre
  • Sustaining Members
  • 96 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:11 AM

Since this seems to come up time and time again I decided to throw these together and post them:
It's not rocket science. A pen, a ruler, and a piece of paper are faster and simpler than all this. <_<

Thanks, Michael. That should help out some folks. I'm resorting to the 'poor man's matte' in post adding a 16:9 letterbox later. I know... I know.... No money AND the lens is external focus old-school Fuji ENG, yada, yada...

I was thinking of doing the matte-to-tape playback through viewfinder outline with either a china pen or semi-transparent card stock insert for the VF. I'm having a hard time taking a pen to any glass or the eyepiece mirror, so I was looking at the paper method. I've seen some people use scotch tape. Still - it's going to be HOT and I can't see putting anything in there that wouldn't be quickly removed or replaced.

I can't say I have any experience with china pens but I have seen a Sharpie taken to a field monitor before. Ouch. Just a thought I guess. Interesting thread to drop in on......

#10 Tom Bays

Tom Bays
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:41 AM

However I may want to shoot in 16:9 mode on the DSR 570 for better resolution and since the image is squeezed in the viewfinder how will this affect what I have done.

Isn't there a setting in the camera that changes your viewfinder to 16 x 9? If it shoot tht way it should give you the safe title with it. You will need a monitor that shows 16 x 9.

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Tai Audio

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Glidecam