• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Adam White

Adam White
  • Sustaining Members
  • 135 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:19 PM

The link below will take you to the site of our little production company where we have been making zero-budget films for the last few years. Currently in the process of gaining finance to fund more substantial projects, we shot a feature over a week late last year with a camera, a few domestic battery torches, and a stills tripod.

s-i-afilms

notes:

1) Both trailers contain adult language and themes. If easily offended, please do not watch.

2) The 2nd trailer has come out very dark (a mixture of grading and compression) so I would treak the brightness a bit to enjoy

I have already fumed about my errors made (many in the trailer alone) but have learnt a lot just from the experience of doing.

thanks

#2 LondonFilmMan

LondonFilmMan
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:47 AM

Teaser Trailer 3.93MB

The only thing I liked about the film was the composition on the car. Might we of given other angles? The dialogue, and I do get the point, wasn't up to much <_< The editing of the film with those titles didn't work for me. Didn't they interupt the film in a vexatious way? It might have worked better without any titles at all. I'd also cut in some surrounding scenery, passing trees...and...one of the guys could roll the window down as they pull up to a red light and perhaps an old lady would overhear their language. The old lady would pull a face and they'd laugh. Why not work in another (opposing?) element or did you want only 4 'identical' peas in a pod?

#3 FilmmakerJack

FilmmakerJack
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:05 AM

I personally really liked it. The titles were indeed awkward, but if just changed a little, they could really work well. You might want to put them in the center and make them look a little more professional. Just so they don't have that "imovie" look that sometimes gets across. I liked how the titles interrupted the dialogue. It really worked well. A lot of trailers do this, but usually there's some sort of elevator music in the background to keep the continuity. But like you said, you already found a lot of things you could change. So I'm sure you already picked up on it. Anyway looks good.

#4 Adam White

Adam White
  • Sustaining Members
  • 135 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:46 AM

Both views valid as I have problems with the editing but that isnt under my control.

To answer LondonFilmMan, we had good coverage of the scene and had an abundance of activity outside the car. The choice to have one long scene (broken up with those titles) was to establish the four guys together in their own little world. During the filming, I was working to bring the characters out of this fixed position but this was the directors wish. In one way this does work as, if you like that sort of humour, you identify quickly with the characters. If you dont then people reach for the off button. fast

Thankyou for your responses, I was very happy with what I shot, just not how it has been put together. Standing my ground when discussing coverage is the best thing to come from this and I will approach the next project more forcefully.

all the best

#5 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:09 PM

Hi,

You know at film school we talk a lot about coverage but to be frank as I'm watching a load of art house films at the moment, I realize sometimes it isn't necessary to cover all of the time. Obviously, in most cases it's a good idea but sometimes playing a scene in one lens size gives a film a certain aesthetic - all depends on the style you are looking for.

I thought the first trailer was very crude, but quite funny, like Men Behaving Badly gone haywire...still some blokes in real life actually talk like that..

#6 Alan Duckworth

Alan Duckworth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Producer
  • Kelowna, B.C. Canada

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:57 PM

I enjoyed the teaser more, got to the point and set up the characters. The silent insert subtitles worked very well for me, and I liked the "one-third up" placement. No problem with the language - I know people who make these guys seem like choirboys [probably a sad reflection on me...]. Overall, made me want to see the show. Good Luck with it.

#7 Adam White

Adam White
  • Sustaining Members
  • 135 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:46 AM

I enjoyed the teaser more, got to the point and set up the characters. The silent insert subtitles worked very well for me, and I liked the "one-third up" placement. No problem with the language - I know people who make these guys seem like choirboys [probably a sad reflection on me...]. Overall, made me want to see the show. Good Luck with it.

Thanks Alan.

#8 peter orland

peter orland
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:13 PM

G'day Adam.

Loved the teaser, much more interesting (as in I would like to see it) than the 2nd trailer. The 2nd trailer gives away too much info without really saying anthing. Where as the teaser sets up something that could be both funny, and interesting, like Morgan said "Men Behaving Badly gone haywire".

On the subject of coverage, when it comes to the edit, it's all about what works for the story and the characterisations, not the likes and dislikes of the DOP/Director/Producer/Editor etc... In the context of the scene in the car, to cut away may of worked better, but it also works fine fine like it is.

Thanks.

Edited by peter orland, 07 July 2006 - 07:14 PM.

Visual Products

Opal

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

The Slider

CineTape

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS