Michael Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Other
  • Toronto, Canada via Huntington Beach, California

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:39 PM

Hello All,

I just picked up my Kodak Reflex Special with seven prime lenses, very sweet! It also came with the manual and another manual that shows you how to take the entire camera apart complete with exploding views (also very nice).

The camera has a mirror shutter and I can see that it has dust on it and maybe a finger print. What should I use to clean the mirror with?

The outside of the camera has that black wrinkle finish, I think it's epoxy. What should I use to clean that with?

This is a rare 16mm camera and has LOADS of great features. I think it's from the early '70s. As far as construction goes...this camera is the real deal. All metal, and very well put together. It kind of looks like a small Mitchell. In a few days I'll try and post some pictures. It also came with a 400 ft magazine and 1200 ft mag. Two motors. One 24 sync and the other variable speed. I think from 8 thru 64.

Mike

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:50 PM

Hello All,

I just picked up my Kodak Reflex Special with seven prime lenses, very sweet! It also came with the manual and another manual that shows you how to take the entire camera apart complete with exploding views (also very nice).

The camera has a mirror shutter and I can see that it has dust on it and maybe a finger print. What should I use to clean the mirror with?

The outside of the camera has that black wrinkle finish, I think it's epoxy. What should I use to clean that with?

This is a rare 16mm camera and has LOADS of great features. I think it's from the early '70s. As far as construction goes...this camera is the real deal. All metal, and very well put together. It kind of looks like a small Mitchell. In a few days I'll try and post some pictures. It also came with a 400 ft magazine and 1200 ft mag. Two motors. One 24 sync and the other variable speed. I think from 8 thru 64.

Mike

Get some foam tipped swabs (I think radio shack has them) and VERY carefully lift off the gunk using some lens fluid on the swab. Use as many swabs as you need to and do so with a very ligt touch. Make sure you're lifting the stuff off, not just smearing it around on the mirror. The reason for the extreme caution is that reflex mirrors are surface silvered, meaning that there is no glass over the reflective surface. If you rub the dust around, you might rub off some of the silver and make your viewfinder system blurry, or not as bright as it could be.

Try to remember those photos, I'm very curious to see one of those cameras all cleaned up.

Edit: Oh, about the black finish on the outside of the camera. On a place that isn't readily visible, try a dab of naptha (lighter fluid) on a cue-tip. See if the finish softens or anything. If the finish seems to stay hard with the naptha, I'd use that. It's just a solvent that will cut all the nasty poop that's piled up on the camera.

If the naptha does soften the finish or anything, I think a solution of murphy's oil soap would be the way to go. Just a damp cloth cleaning, not dripping wet obviously, more like as dry as you can wring the cloth.

Edited by Christopher D. Keth, 27 June 2006 - 06:51 PM.

#3 Michael Ryan

Michael Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Other
  • Toronto, Canada via Huntington Beach, California

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:09 PM

Hello Chris,

I'll post some better pictures next week. In the meantime here is a site that has a small photo of the Kodak Reflex Special. www.cedu.niu.edu/blackwell/multimedia/high/thumbs/205.html

The front has a turrent so you can place up to three lenses on the camera at one time. I'm not sure why this was done as this is a tripod only camera. It would be very hard to hand hold and also very heavy, especially with the motor mounted.

The motors are shaped like a small box and they "click" on and off by pushing two levers (very excellent idea). The 24 sync motor is fairly quite, but the manual recommends a "lead and felt" lined blimp.

Mike

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

CineTape

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC