Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:58 AM

Greetings,

I am getting back into shooting super 8 after about 5 years spent away from the format. I am delighted by the fact that Kodak and others have introduced new stocks. I am doing some tests of my own in the next few weeks but I am wondering what comparisons folks have done or what experiences people have had with the new stocks. How is the Spectra Film and Video cut down of Fuji Velvea? How are the pro8mm fuji cut downs? My favorite kodak stock of all time is 7245, any of the new super 8 stocks have similar characteristics? I shoot super 8 mostly in daylight exterior situations.

I have also heard rumors that some of these cut downs are not done well, that they are dirty etc, any truth to these rumors?

One final question, if anyone has experience with super 8 to HD telecine, I'm curious as to how you feel it compares to telecine to digibeta. Don't bother mentioning cost, its not an issue, I'm concerned strictly with aesthetics, and how HD handles super 8. also did you pillar box, or place a 16:9 matte on the super 8? how does the grain structure look on HD?

thanks

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc