3 replies to this topic

#1 Zamir Merali

Zamir Merali
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Director

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:21 AM

Im really new to cinematography and film making and after making a few shorts with random lights sitting arond my house i have decided that I should buy some real lights. I looked at a store called vistek in Canada and the lights there are EXTREMELY expensive. When I checked on ebay I found one person who has an ebay store that sells only lights and lighting kits. His lights are extremely cheap but they look really good in his auctions. Here is one of his auctions where he is selling a 3000 watt lighitng kit with 3 lights for only around $600. Should i consider buying from this person or is there a catch that only someone experienced with lights could find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks Alot

#2 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:27 AM

The Britek lights are cheap in construction and price. They are not durable, and the soft boxes are difficult to assemble and disassemble quickly.

If that's all you can afford, they work, but if you use them often you'll wish you had better lights.

#3 Zamir Merali

Zamir Merali
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Director

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:43 PM

The Britek lights are cheap in construction and price. They are not durable, and the soft boxes are difficult to assemble and disassemble quickly.

If that's all you can afford, they work, but if you use them often you'll wish you had better lights.

My current state in filmmaking is a keen hobbiest so you are saying that these lights would be good enough for me?

#4 david west

david west
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2006 - 05:59 AM

they look like modified 29.99 homedepot yellow work lights with a can of black heat resist paint applied....

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Glidecam